Mixing different aged chicks together?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jules3, Oct 20, 2013.

1. jules3

jules3 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 19, 2013
    I have one Silkie that is about 6-7 months old. Could I put her and two 10-12 week old chicks together overnight?

2. BettyBlueSilkie

BettyBlueSilkie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2013
    WA
    separate them but make sure they can see each other, another tip is to let them out and have them see and bond so they will get alone

3. jules3

Oct 19, 2013
    We'll I just went down there and the older one was all snuggled in for the night. The other two were together a little distance away. All had their eyes closed. Going to keep my fingers crossed until morning.

4. All Henned Up

All Henned Up Muffs or Tufts

most of the time you need to keep them apart until they get used to each other with a dividing fence. but i have found that silkies are usually docile and will tolerate younger chicks.
    Welcome and enjoy!
    Steve.[​IMG]

5. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello, :frow and Welcome to BYC! You might want to be sure to open the coop and check or separate the chicks from the older bird early tomorrow morning before the chickens are active. If she decides to pick on the little ones while they are trapped in the coop it could get bad.

7. jules3

Oct 19, 2013
    Thanks for the info. I had thought of that and then forgotten...

8. jules3

Oct 19, 2013
    It's 11:00 p.m. and I just went and snuck a peek at the chickens and they are actually laying in a little pile. Though I will still be sure and let them out early tomorrow...:)

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] silkies usually don't roost, they like to pile up in a corner on the floor. Since you only have one silkie, I'm sure she is happy to have the chicks to cuddle with.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by