Mixing different ages

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by cheepcheep3, Mar 21, 2013.

1. cheepcheep3

cheepcheep3 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2013
    Michigan
    My friend recently got two ducklings but no longer wants them any more and wants me to take them off her hands because I have so many animals and she knows they'd have a good home. Buttttt I will be getting 10 ducklings possibly april 22-june 3rd (depending on when all the ducks we wanted are available) so if I took these ducklings from my friend and they got bigger and when my 10 other ducklings come and I mix the two is there going to be fighting? when could I mix the two age differences?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    You would have to do it gradual. letting them see each other but giving your new ducklings a chance to get strong before letting them all be together, what will be the age difference?

3. gg61501

gg61501 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2010
    Katy TX
    Cheepcheep,

I did something similar just the other day. Ordinarily I would suggest the same thing as Miss Lydia...That advice is solid and is what I do with my chickens. However, your initial 2 birds shouldn't have a problem bringing in another 10 birds in a few weeks. Here's what happened to me:

I had a single pekin hen (her other 2 flockmates were the victims of a *now dead* coon) who has been alone the last 4 months. I picked up a pair of ducklings at the local feed store about 5-6 weeks ago, followed by another pair 2 weeks later.

I introduced the first pair at a month of age to their new digs (with the adult pekin) two weeks ago -- followed by the other 2 ducklings this last weekend. Yes, there was a bit a squaking and nudging about as they all "learned their place". But at the end of the day they were all swimming nicely in their pen and snuggled down together that night.

Ducks are MUCH less vicious than chickens, it seems.

Like I said, you shouldn't have a problem -- just keep a watchful eye out and be prepared to play referee if necessary. :)

-Randy

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Randy my thinking was the new ducklings if shipped may only be a couple days old, I would not put that young of ducklings in with ducklings much older, just isn't a good idea. Young ones aren't strong enough to be trampled by older ducks running around. They need time to get their legs under them.

5. gg61501

gg61501 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2010
    Katy TX
    Miss Lydia -- I agree completely. I would definitely keep new hatchlings seperated for a few weeks before introducing them. By 4 weeks old, I would think that herd of 10 ducklings would be intimidating. Hehehe. Maybe 3 at the earliest. You're right, though - the little ones should bulk up a bit before sharing space with the big birds.
    :)

6. cheepcheep3

cheepcheep3 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2013
    Michigan
    Im not positive what the age difference is and it is hard to say what it would be because there is such a range on when we are getting the 10 ducklings. But the 10 ducklings will be living in our chicken coop (we don't have chickens any more so it is un occupied) until they are old enough to move into our barn where they will be living with our two nigerian dwarf goats. But I'm glad to know it is possible for them to get along easily!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by