Mixing different drugs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by R.M.Qureshi, Jul 16, 2011.

1. R.M.Qureshi

R.M.Qureshi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Lahore , Pakistan
    Dear members,

Please be so kind to share your knowledge about the post infections. Actually my bantams are suffering from post infections after cocci treatment. Please let me know if i can mix tylosin tartrate with sulfa type drugs.

Regards
    RM

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Tylosin Tartrate is good for colitis and gastro infections, which is what birds do get with cocci. I would not mix the two antibiotics but would finish with what ever drug they are on at the time. You can offer them yogurt or some sort of probiotics, even human or in the children form, something to sooth the digestive tract and get it reflourished from all the antibiotics they have been on. If they are done with one of these drugs, I would give them a small break in between as these chemicals are hard on the chicks system to continue with.

I had a female quail that no matter what I dosed her with, she still kept up with the cocci and bloody poo. Eventually she got over it, but did have intestinal infections for some time. It took her a few months to fully recover and it stunted her growth for a while. She eventually got back on her feet and caught up with the others, however, to this day she is not the healthiest specimen of a quail, but she does enjoy life and still gives me a few eggs every week.

Good luck with your babies! [​IMG]

3. R.M.Qureshi

R.M.Qureshi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Lahore , Pakistan
    Thanks Twocrowsranch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by