Mixing different types of birds?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by trapper john, Feb 28, 2013.

1. trapper john

trapper john Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2013
    Wasilla alaska
    I'm heading into town tomorrow to pick up some Quail chicks is it safe too keep them in one brooder with my chicks- baby chickens or should I separate? Also if I do separate them can I put them in the same coop when they are adults??

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Have you ever seen a baby quail? They're stinking tiny- like quarter sized babies, uber cute! I'd separate them for sure.
    I'd also recommend housing them separately in a covered run. When I kept quail they had their own good sized hutch without a run. They were super duper friendly and would run to the door as soon as they saw me. If one happened to make its way out of that door onto the ground they were gone lickity split, right into the bushes where I had no hope of catching their little butts. And like I said, mine were very friendly. We have quite a few quail calling the woods next to our house home now :/
    Nikki

3. trapper john

trapper john Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2013
    Wasilla alaska
    Thanks for the information Nikki I'm taking your advice I brought my new girls home today man!!! Quail are beautiful little critters!!![​IMG]

4. cluckcluckluke

cluckcluckluke Overrun With Chickens

Quails are similar to keeping Guinea pigs, the live well in large ( depends on how many you have ) rabbit hutch with complete cover. Aviary's are perfect for quails.
    But yes keep them separate.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by