Mixing duck breeds

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by michellers, Mar 9, 2013.

1. michellers

michellers Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Are there any ducks breeds that won't do well together?

I'm thinking of having two female blue swedish, but I also really like runners. Could two female runners and two female blue swedish live peacefully? Would the two breeds have different housing or feed requirements?

My plan would be to order them (day old) together, so they are the same age and live with each other from the start.

Thanks in advance!

2. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    You don't really want to mix bantams and large breeds. Especially if there are drakes. Runners and Swedish will be fine. The only difference will be height because the runners are taller.

3. michellers

Feb 10, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Thanks! Another question - how are ducks around noises? I've read about their housing at night being fairly enclosed to prevent them from seeing their shadows and light. We have train tracks in our backyard. Trains only use horns in emergencies now, but the there is still the initial train engine noise. And they go through at night as well. Also, our A/C would be near the duck pen (but the enclosed area would be the farthest away). That will kick on at night during the summer as needed.

[​IMG]

We have 2.75 acres, but as you can see, the tracks are at the edge of our property. Our duck run/enclosure will be behind the attached garage (so I have access to water and power), inside our 5-foot chain-link fence.

4. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    My ducks have been through airplanes flying over, horses, dogs, fireworks, and gunshots. They've always been find through the events though they do seem to quack quite loudly during the various noises.

5. michellers

Feb 10, 2013
    Wisconsin
    I figured they would get used to it, along with the dogs barking here and there. And then the occasional lawn mower or tractor that my husband starts.

Snow is starting to melt and I am so excited to start building!

6. michellers

Feb 10, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Played around more on SketchUp.

[​IMG]

7. Jennsbirds

Jennsbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2013
    Bay Area
    Are cayuga too small compared to pekin or jumbo pekin?

8. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    I've known a few people who have kept them together but I wouldn't personally keep Cayuga hens in with Pekin drakes.

9. Jennsbirds

Jennsbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2013
    Bay Area
    Why?

10. Jacob Temple

Jacob Temple Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    i have had bantams and bog breeds to mix and they turned out to be very pretty ducks my last ones was mothered by a blue swedish and fathered by a mallard . They looked like a a black swedish with a some what of a green head with the blueish purple on there wings

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by