1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mixing Ducklings?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by crazy4ducks, Jan 25, 2012.

1. crazy4ducks

crazy4ducks New Egg

Jan 4, 2012
    Hello All, Im new to this forum and hoping to get some help. I have a 3 week old Buff duckling, she lost her sister to an illness. So I ordered new ducklings to keep her company. They arrived this morning. My question is how long should I wait to put them together?
    Thanks so much

2. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    The new ones grow fast. I'd probably give them until they are a week old or so. That way the babies are big enough and coordinated enough there shouldn't be problems with them not being able to get to the food/water/heat. What did the other duckling die of? If it's something she can carry/transfer to the new ducklings I'd be very cautious.

3. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    Oh, and [​IMG]

4. crazy4ducks

crazy4ducks New Egg

Jan 4, 2012
    Thank you! Im not sure what the other died from. She was having trouble walking, then trouble controlling her head/neck. It was very fast, I noticed she was walking weird on a Thursday night, rushed out and got vitamins, but by Saturday morning she had passed away.
    Her sister is doing great. No problems at all.

5. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by