Mixing ducks =good or bad?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mlheran, May 12, 2007.

1. mlheran

mlheran Chillin' With My Peeps

I have some Magpie ducklings but am thinking of getting one or two more to keep them company. I could get two more magpies, but they'd be at least three weeks younger than my pair -would that be too tough on them? And if I can't get Magpies I was thinking of Pekins -would they be okay together? And as far as breeding goes, is Pekin x Magpie a good or bad thing? I realize it would eliminate the pure bloodlines, but are there any other concerns (assuming they set and hatch, of course).

I'm sorry for all the questions! I just had my heart set on a Magpie trio but just lost my male, and my remaining girls just seem so lonely. Am I anthropomorphosizing too much? [​IMG]

2. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    I just added two new ducklings to my group of ducklings with their "mom" goose. The new ducklings are at least 3 weeks older than the rest of the ducklings but they are all fine together. The goose tried to chase them off a couple times, but the instinct to flock together was too strong and she finally gave up.
    I would keep newly hatched ducks separate at least until they are steady on their legs and then start to introduce them.

chel

3. mlheran

Thanks eggchel -good to know that they will eventually all come together. I haven't completely decided yet if I want to get some more. It seems like I won't be able to get Magpies, but I could get some Pekins of roughly the same age. My two girls seem to be pretty happy together, so I may just leave them as-is -we'll see how it goes once they're out of the brooder. [​IMG]

4. Cheri

Cheri Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2007
    Dayton, TX
    Make sure you get an equal number of sexes tho. I have 4 males and no females. Lah the things I done seen! LOL.

PS I have two Pekins, One mallard, one speckled belly.

Last edited: May 14, 2007
  5. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    I have had mixed flocks all along, and they all do just fine! e have Cayugas, Pekins and Silver Appleyards.

6. mlheran

Quote:I had originally intended to have a trio of Magpies (1 male + 2 females) since I wanted them for fun, eggs, and ducklings third. Do they pair off when they're evenly sexed? It seems like a lot of the ducks I've read about are almost like roosters -servicing whoever's in reach. Is that not the case?

Quote:I'm glad to hear they get along. Do they interbreed, and if so are the offspring healthy? LOL, and are they a cute blend of the breeds? [​IMG]

7. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

I know Pekins and Muscovies can interbreed! Flapper the duck and his lady friend Georgie had three ducklings a few years ago. If you don't know who Flapper is you have to check out his blog: http://www.mrflapper.com/index.html

It's
    adorable! [​IMG]

8. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    Quote:I had originally intended to have a trio of Magpies (1 male + 2 females) since I wanted them for fun, eggs, and ducklings third. Do they pair off when they're evenly sexed? It seems like a lot of the ducks I've read about are almost like roosters -servicing whoever's in reach. Is that not the case?

Quote:I'm glad to hear they get along. Do they interbreed, and if so are the offspring healthy? LOL, and are they a cute blend of the breeds? [​IMG]

They do interbreed, but I havent hatched any Ducklings, so I dont know about that.
    I had one drake and 5 girls, and he "took care of" all of them. [​IMG]

9. mlheran

Quote:I found Flapper a few weeks ago and spent a whole day going through his diary! [​IMG] I check in on the cam nearly every day too, they are adorable!

And thanks, Critter Crazy -good to know! [​IMG]

10. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by