Mixing flock-value your input on adding polish hens to a flock of hens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jerseygirl1, Aug 7, 2009.

1. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Crowing

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    I would really appreciate some input on this.... I have 12 standard egg laying hens (RIR, barred rocks, leghorns), all the same age 8 weeks old that were hatched together and purchased together. They have had really no human interatction with them, except for me when I got them four weeks ago. Not very affectionate (them, not me). I was thinking of adding some polish hens I saw advertised. Maybe one or two. No rooster yet. What is the best way to do this? Would they be picked on too much? These polish hens are around 12 weeks old. Thanks in advance

2. Sunflower01

Sunflower01 In the Brooder

Jul 30, 2009
    Westminster, Maryland
    Oh My, I just posted about same situation... I bought my Bovan Hens 20 weeks old two weeks ago. Put them in their brand new House and enclosed run and thought they were the sweetest things. Last night we went to the Live stock auction in my town and my teen age daughters bought a pair of Gold laced Polish hens. Thought it would be fine to integrate them into the existing flock. We put them on the roost after dark with the Bovans last night after dark. Everything went well. This morning opened up the door to the run, but left for work before everyone came out. My Husband called me an hour after I got to work and reported"Huston we have a problem", the Bovans are pecking the heck out of the Polish hens.. The polish hens are the sweetist birds I think we have ever had. Very tame and love to be held but shy and will not defend themselves. So we will not be getting rid of them.. Looks like tonight we will be dividing the house and covered run to accomidate the Polish in their own area. Oh Boy...

3. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Crowing

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    I'm thinking of just putting up a separate divider in the coop, like chicken wire, to keep them seperate for awhile.......

4. Sunflower01

Sunflower01 In the Brooder

Jul 30, 2009
    Westminster, Maryland
    I thought about a temporary system too, but from what I have recently read on Polish hens is that they are shy and will not fight back and the laying hens are very attracted to their fluffy heads. I don't want to take the chance of the Polish getting their eyes pecked out or seriously hurt, not to mention the stress it will put them under being attacked all day long. I forgot to mention the Polish hens are about 5 to 6 mo. old. They are beautiful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: