Mixing Flocks....Food Question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Danielle3140, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Danielle3140

Danielle3140 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2011
    Hi. I'm relatively new to this.....I have 6, 8 week old chicks who have been out ranging with my laying flock of 6. (4 of the babies appear to be roosters but that may be beside the point). The babies are sleeping and eating in a dog crate inside the layers' coop and have been for weeks now. I 'd love to be able to just allow them all to coexist but I have a question about food. If the babies need special food, and the layers need their type of food, how do I ensure everyone's getting what they need and not all eating each others' food? They're all fed high quality organic feed, but obviously one is chick starter/grower and one is for layers. Your help would be appreciated!!

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Feed everyone a feed intended for this situation precisely. Most feed makers sell an All Flock or Flock Raiser type feed. One feed for everyone and life is easier. An 18%-20% Grower would also work just fine. Or just let everyone eat the chick/starter grower you're already feeding and put the Layer mix away.

Just provide the layers a calcium supplement on the side strengthening their egg shells. Younger birds don't normally mess with it.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  3. Danielle3140

Danielle3140 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2011
    Thank you! I've got 50lb bags each of it. Would it be ok to mix it up, or keep both out until I've used it up?

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Birds shouldn't be getting Layer until they are layers. Layer feed is for laying birds. The high calcium is potentially damaging to the renal tracts of young birds eating it over a period of time. The only way to expel the large dosages of calcium is to lay eggs with shells on them. That is why only a layer needs the calcium found in Layer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by