Mixing flocks??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kla37, Jun 21, 2010.

1. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    I have two sets of chicks. There are 7 in the older flock, they are about 5 weeks old, and 9 in the younger flock, two weeks younger. I have the chicken run ready, it's really secure from the bottom to the top. They are in seperate brooders in our shed at night. Can I put them in the chicken run together during the day? If I put both sets of feeders and waterers will they kill each other? I ended up with 2 sets because 2 chicks in the first group died. My dad was sad for my son to hear this, and ordered us 9 more. I'm not keeping all of them, 4 are going to a friend soon and hopefully another friend will take a couple as well. Please give me your advice! Thanks![​IMG]

2. Jen4

Jen4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Munfordville, KY
    My personal opinion... I think they will be fine, just watch them and give them alittle time. Yes they will peck at one another but if theres enough room for them to run and hide it should be ok, I have my barnyard flock all in one huge run/coop ages run from over a year old to acouple weeks old and pretty much they all get along. They have their clicks and someone does get pecked here and there but nothing major. Good Luck [​IMG]

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I'm pretty sure they'll be fine. They'll just have to go through the process of determining the Whole Flock pecking order. They're only 2 weeks apart in age, that's not much of a difference. I've put chicks together in brooders further apart in age than that.

It's not the same as throwing really young chicks in with an established flock of adult birds.

But you should leave both sets of waterers and feeders, so one group cannot block the others from eating and drinking.

4. kla37

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    Thanks for the advice and reassurance. I think I'll put a cardboard box in the run so some of them can run and hide if they want to. Fingers crossed!

5. clkingtx

clkingtx Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2009
    I bet you can put them together just fine with no problems. I have the same age difference with my girls. I put the barred rocks in their coop/run first, then put the younger cochins and buff orpingtons out there when I thought they were ready(about 6 weeks). There was a little squabbling to begin with, the younger ones got picked on a little, but none ever got hurt. They all get along just fine now. As long as they have plenty of room, plenty of food(with enough protein) and water, and plenty of shade, I think they will do fine. I did notice I got a bit of feather picking one time, but I upped their protein, and it stopped really quick. Hope yours do well!

Carrie

6. norcal

norcal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Northern California
    We tried to put 2 BO hens that were about 9 wks old w/ one red sex link hen who was about 4 wks older than them. And the RSL was very violent, going after the heads & holding them down by the necks. Hubby put her in a rabbit cage in the coop w/ the other 2 girls running free. After about 3 days we let her out, and they are all best buddies now. I guess for some it takes a while.

One BO hen is bigger than the RSL, the other BO is about the same size as the RSL.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  7. kla37

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    They were all together today and no major problems! A little pecking and arguing, but all in all it went pretty smooth. I made sure there were enough feeding and watering stations, and some fresh lettuce scattered around to pick at. My buff orpington is one of the older chicks, and all the little ones seemed to really like her. She's a sweetheart! She's so pretty, I wish I had another one of her. Thanks for the helpful advice!

8. Jen4

Jen4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Munfordville, KY
    They were all together today and no major problems! A little pecking and arguing, but all in all it went pretty smooth. I made sure there were enough feeding and watering stations, and some fresh lettuce scattered around to pick at. My buff orpington is one of the older chicks, and all the little ones seemed to really like her. She's a sweetheart! She's so pretty, I wish I had another one of her. Thanks for the helpful advice!

Oh thats great [​IMG]

9. kla37

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    I love BYC!!! So many helpful people, it's like group therapy, except not depressing...Ya'll rock![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by