Mixing flocks

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by smpisias, Feb 11, 2013.

1. smpisias

smpisias Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2013
    Hello, I'm new to the site, and have a couple of questions. Can I mix my 4 chickens with a neighbor's 5 chickens so that she can babysit while I'm out of town for a week or so?
    Also, I have noticed some black little bits in my nesting boxes. Is it rodent feces? I have tried to put small gauge wire over all the openings. Thanks for any advice!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] Combining the two flocks would result in fighting as they try to establish a new pecking order. It would be far better to have her care for them at your place. The little black bits may very well be mouse feces. Try setting some traps in spots sheltered from your flock.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined us! I X2 the advice of sourland. I would also worry about cross contamination - wouldn't want either flock to get sick. Good luck to you!

4. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG] I personally wouldn't mix my chickens with anyone else's due the potential risk of them getting sick.

5. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

I also agree with Sourland. If the "black bits" look like little torpedos and are all pretty much the same size, it is probably mouse poop. Mice can squeeze through cracks less than 1" wide.

6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

7. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!!!
    [​IMG]
    Glad you joined us!

8. bantams321

bantams321 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2013
    Im new to this site aswell and i have a group of 6 bantam mixes that are in the same cage and then i incubated 12 eggs and only one hatched(rir). The bantams are 3 weeks old and the RIR is 2 weeks and is alone. Can i put them all in the same cage or will the group of bantams hurts the younger one?

9. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I have put chicks together as much as three weeks' difference in age. There will be some pecking order issues, as that process starts at very early ages. As long as no blood is drawn, let them work it out. Watch to make sure the RIR doesnt get cornered or kept drom food and water, though. Before too long, that RIR will be bigger than the bantam mixes, I bet, and they'll all be one group.

10. bantams321

bantams321 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2013
    Okay thankyou!:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by