1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mixing full grown chickens together

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by starck5, Jul 7, 2008.

1. starck5

starck5 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2008
    I started my chicken adventure in May with baby chicks. I put them in a temp coop until the big coop was finished, and something got in one night and ate all of them.

My chicken dream had died.........unitl last Saturday.

We went to a small farm animal auction to purchase a goat for a companion for our goat. My husband told me I might as well get some chickens as well, since we already had the coop built.

I bought 3 leghorns, 3 black, and 3 brown ready to lay pullets in one cage. Then I bought 3 banty Columbian somethings that I thought were just pretty. Then I bought 2 Aracana (SP)? in a different box.

I put them in their coop on Saturday, and everyone seems to be getting along just fine. Is there anything else I need to know about mixing all these birds together?

We got our first small egg Sunday Morning, another egg this morning and a blue/green egg this evening. Then when they were all roosting I went to shut up the coop and there was another egg. They have nesting boxes in there coop, but keep laying the eggs in the bedding on the ground.
    How do I fix this?

You never know what your getting at these auctions. The banty rooster has a blue butt. I am not sure if the sprayed something on it. Any advice on what it might be.

Thanks for all your help.

2. greenthumb89

greenthumb89 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2008
    pulaski wisconsin
    the blue but may be blue kote that deters pecking if there was blood, and to get them to lay in the nest boxes we always just got some wooden eggs from a craft store and put them in the nest boxes to help them see "here this is where the eggs go" always worked for us

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by