mixing goats,geese,ducks,and chickens

MaryAnn

Hatching
10 Years
Oct 18, 2009
We have lots of room so our animals can free range most of the time. I want to feed extra this winter. I have raised chickens and ducks for years but just added two wethers and four geese. I want to give them extra for the cold weather but not have the goats eat up the corn. What has worked for you?

I keep my duck and chicken feed in the run and have my goats in a separete area. You might try to keep the duck and chicken feed in the coop with only a small door for them to get in to, but not large enough for the goats to enter.

We have the same set up. We made a run around the chicken coop, with a small cut-out so the chickens can get into the pasture. Goats are so athletic though...they can really squeeze into some small openings!

my friends have a large pen set up. in it are 17 Goats, Chickens, a few ducks, 2 baby cows and ... i think thats it.

They feed the goats ect in feed tubs on the ground ( roughly 2 goats per tub- they move around alot...)

the chickens they sprinkle feed on the ground. The chickens stick to the ground. goats to the feeders.

Thanks,
I scatter the cracked corn on the ground. I'm not worried about waste, the chickens will get it all. The goats seem to have enough in that they will walk away from the pellets in a pan. I am concerned that the geese and ducks may not get their share off the ground and are pushed out by the goats. I feed two or three times a day rather than have it out all the time so they still range. How much grain and how much layer pellets would you feed geese and ducks that have pasture?
Right now they all share one barn. I am thinking of partitioning off a feed area for the birds with pallets.

Last edited:
Well, right now I have 5 ducks.

I take a 5 gallon fortiflex bucket twice a day and dump 2 buckets IN the coop ( In the coop i have 10 laying hens and about 6 bantams.

I take 1 bucket and dump it outside for the 5-7 chickens that fly out of the coop and the 5 ducks, usually twice a day.

Back
Top Bottom