Mixing Layena with medicated chick feed? (and other questions)

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Yay Chicks!, Jul 29, 2010.

1. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Songster

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Hello. My girls are about 17 weeks old (not yet laying) and I still have a bunch of medicated feed.
    What do you think about starting them on Layena (or some other layer feed) now and mixing it with the chick feed?
    Or, doing the mix maybe for the next week and then Layena exclusively?
    AND...if I feed Layena, do I need to give oyster shell as well?
    AND...if so, do I wait on the oyster shell until they begin laying?

Thank you! [​IMG]

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I would go ahead and start mixing the two feeds in the next week or so.
    The feed I use says no supplementation needed, but reading the white tag it shows that the amount of calcium in the feed is only 4%. I've noticed that without supplementing oyster shell the eggshells just aren't as strong.
    I'd wait until they are actually laying before offering the oyster shell though.

3. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Songster

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Thanks, Kat. That's just what I'll do. Off to the feed store now. [​IMG]

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    One thing I forgot to mention. Oyster shell is one of the best values you'll find when it comes to chicken supplies. I pay only 20 cents per pound at the farmer's co-op. If the individual hen has a need for it, she'll take it. If she doesn't, she'll leave it alone. Just like humans, each individual chicken has more or less of a need of key nutrients. My rooster never touches the oyster shell, but he does call the hens to it when I refill their supply.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by