Mixing Marans with other Marans. What do you get? Photos please :)

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by cowman1970, Dec 18, 2013.

1. cowman1970

cowman1970 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2011
    Williamsburg, Pennsylvania
    My potential breeding strategy for 2014. I would like others input and photos please. My stock originates from those breeders working on improvement and none came from the barnyard/sale barn. I have 7 varieties yet I can only separate 4 of the varieties.

I keep my Blue/Blue Coppers, Black/Black Coppers, and the Splash variety together because I know what to expect when I hatch my eggs. 1/50 end up a recessive Ermine, Wheaten, and Cuckoo.

I'm thinking about keeping Splash and/or Blue with Wheaten this Spring but I'm not sure what to expect. Maybe I will keep the Splash/Blues together instead.

A Black/Black Copper x Wheaten cross makes a very pretty hen.

I'm keeping Black/Black Coppers with Silver Birchen. They will be Black/Black Coppers with the Silver gene since the golden gene is dominant.

I have one White Marans rooster. What do I do with him?

I also have 8 first generation Partridge Marans. What should I do with them?

I'm keeping my Silver/Golden Salmon Marans to themselves.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    What are your goals?

3. cowman1970

Jul 18, 2011
    My intention is to keep the appropriate varieties together to avoid any barnyard mixes.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Then it sounds like you need more pens or less varieties. Don't be afraid to narrow your focus on just a few varieties, and cull cull cull.

5. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop

6. cowman1970

Jul 18, 2011
    I find that quite a few people don't mind the barnyard mixes of Marans as long as the eggs are dark. I had people come from all over to buy chicks last year and that was never a concern.

7. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    First, the gold sex linked gene is not dominant, Silver is dominant, and dont mix them this will create a mess, unless you have a single Birchen male and want Birchen pullet but only has Black Copper hens, this cross(Brichen male vs Black Copper hens) will produce Birchen pullets.... but Golden(S/s+) Birchen males which look like birchen but with a lemon/yellow hackle and saddle instead of silver

keep them by themselves, no other breed/color is compatible with them, if crossed with BCM the cross will produce BCM looking birds, the closest you can come to their phenotype is the Wheaten Marans, but while the males look similar, the females look way different. so keep them separate

are they recessive white? or dominant white?

Thats only good if you are culling the male chicks, as all of the females will be either Silver or Gold

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by