Mixing Mountain and California quail?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by dainironfoot, Oct 13, 2011.

1. dainironfoot

dainironfoot Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2010
    woodburn, Oregon
    Hi guys, Just wondering what your thoughts were on mixing california quail and mountain quail in the same pen. The prospective pen would be 6X8 and about 6 ft. high. It would be elevated about a foot off the ground with wire for the floor. Also how many birds would you keep in a pen that small? Thanx in advance,

-Tony

2. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I have been to Woodburn many times the 4 years living in Corvallis [​IMG]

I am unsure about the mixing of species as I am purist but someone should answer shortly [​IMG] I just saw woodburn and brought me back memories!

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    It is never advised to mix different species of quail together. However you could try it and see if they get along. I would stand guard for days however to make sure nobody kills each other. Actually this time of year is the time to do it, while they are going in to the non breeding season. If you are planning on adding lights and keeping them in breeding mode this winter, then I would say NO to the mixing of the two species. Come next spring when they all get geared up for breeding, you will have to keep the pairs separated no doubt. Good luck!

Edit to add: During the non breeding season you MIGHT be able to keep 15 - 20 birds in there and keep the peace. [​IMG] (Some people have stuffed more than this into a pen, I like to offer big space for my birds). During breeding season? You will need to divide up the space and give the pairs their own territory, possibly in other pens.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
  4. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    While Valley Quail Arent Exactly Cheap You'll Have A Significant Investment In Mountains.... That Plus A Twice The Size Difference In Stature ~ I Wouldnt Recomend This

5. BobwhiteQuailLover

BobwhiteQuailLover Country Girl[IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.

Sep 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I most definatly wouldn't do this. I raised Mountain Qual this spring, and they are toe pickers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by