1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Mixing my own feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by xcntry, Sep 11, 2010.

1. xcntry

xcntry Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2010
    Southeast Idaho
    I can not keep throwing so much into the feed for my hens...they are not even laying right now, not sure why!!!

I was told at the feed store that I could get a commercial grade concentrate and mix it with cracked corn and it would be half the cost...but...is that what is best?

will that bring them back to laying again? I was getting 4-5 eggs a day at first...now I get a white egg every other day and occasionally a brown egg [​IMG]

I have only had them (2 years old to a year old hens, 3 Americanas, and I don't know the other 3...a white one, a white and black one with feathers on her feet and a red one) for a month and have gone through 75# of start and grow. I also have 4 pullets that are 3 black copper maran and one blue andalusion, they should be laying any day now...so I was told to keep feeding what I was to the pullets and add oyster shell to the mix and then when the nights started to get cooler-I I read to help keep them warm at night to give them cracked corn just before they go to roost- no more than it would take them to eat in 15 minutes...

There seems to be a lot of conflicting ideas as to what is best to feed them...I don't want them to be under nurished! I want them to start laying eggs again!

Thank you!!!

2. Lotsapaints

Lotsapaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    Paso Robles, CA
    Your older hens are going to moult you lower the protein and they wont lay until March....you should make sure they get good feed right now or the pullets wont lay either. I've found that the better quality feed the less of it they eat at the minimum your birds need 17% protein a little corn is good too much is just going to make them fat and corn is 9% protein. Make sure they aren't wasting feed either that's helped me I made some PVC feeders and it cut the waste way down. What are you feeding them now? With commercial feed my chickens were always hungry I've found a nice local feed mill that coarsely grinds the feed every couple of months and I'm making my own feed mix of sprouts; wheat, oats and BOSS and I just bought split peas and my chickens love them and the cost is less because they eat less. I do keep my layer out 24/7 but they are not eating as much of it and they are going through more oyster shell. I'm getting lots of eggs and they are bigger too mine are all young pullets some 7 months some 21 weeks from 24 hens I'm getting 20 eggs a day.

3. Boo-Boo's Mama

Boo-Boo's Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Flock Raiser might be better since all your chickens could eat it...put a tin of oyster shell out for the layers. Might be good to add Black Oil Sunflower Seeds to help your older girls through a molt. I mix Turkey/Gamebird feed (24% protein) and BOSS (15% protein) and offer oyster shell and grit on the side. Some of my pullets started laying in July, August and this month. Still have about 8 left that have not laid yet. Have had 2 softshell eggs thus far so am making sure I have plenty of oyster shell out.

Good luck with your girls. [​IMG]

4. xcntry

Jun 5, 2010
    Southeast Idaho
    Thank you for your great information...

I am currently feeding them start and grow from purina, adding oyster shell for the older hens...but starting to hear bad things about purina...and they are going through it FAST! I do not see that there is a way for them to waste it...They are not able to scratch it out of the feeders...otherwise, I am clueless as to what else to do to help...

so if I threw out some wild bird seed? I am suppose to pick up the commercial feed Thursday...I am told that it is a good feed...and less expensive...??? I am new around here and I don't know where to locate a place to have my feed ground for me...

I just want to make sure that they are happy and continue back to do their job...sooner than later...another question for the future...is it the breed? does one breed tend to Molt longer or shorter in the fall in 'high dessert' conditions...aka ...colder than most places for a longer period of time...I am in South East Idaho...we have already had our first frost a couple weeks ago!

Thank you all again!!

5. Boo-Boo's Mama

Quote:I would look for something that is high in protein to help your older hens with the molt. That should help them start laying again, although if you have already had a frost and with the shortened amount of sunlight...might try adding light to the coop to make a 14 hr day??

Mine seemed to like the Purina Flock Raiser. I'm not sure I will continue with what I'm feeding now...Turkey/Gamebird Crumbles (but it is more like dust); they are dropping a lot on the ground...if I get it again, will mix with yogurt so it is not wasted.

Good luck.

6. xcntry

Jun 5, 2010
    Southeast Idaho
    Boo-Boo's Mama :

Mine seemed to like the Purina Flock Raiser. I'm not sure I will continue with what I'm feeding now...Turkey/Gamebird Crumbles (but it is more like dust); they are dropping a lot on the ground...if I get it again, will mix with yogurt so it is not wasted.

Good luck.

I was told that yogurt was a bad thing to feed them...I did not hear WHY it is...but...yours are doing well...not sure what the big deal is...

weird how there are so many different opinions about feeding chickens!!​

7. Boo-Boo's Mama

Yogurt helps with digestion. It is a favorite treat in many flocks...mine love it.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
  8. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:I was told that yogurt was a bad thing to feed them...I did not hear WHY it is...but...yours are doing well...not sure what the big deal is...

weird how there are so many different opinions about feeding chickens!!

Yogurt is good for chickens. The best Yogurt is the ones that has Live and Active Culture and if it has a sweetener it should be sugar and not corn syrup...

Chris

9. Boo-Boo's Mama

I make my own yogurt...got the recipe from a BYC member; no sugar added other than the overripe bananas I add at times...last batch had rolled oats added.

10. xcntry

Jun 5, 2010
    Southeast Idaho
    That is so weird! Ok, good to know!!! there are more saying it is good for them than not...so I will remember this can be added to my feed as well!

Thank you!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by