Mixing new babies with 18 wk babies

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by just a dozen, Jul 2, 2010.

1. just a dozen

just a dozen Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2010
    I" inherited" 4 ameracauna peeps. When they are 6 wks.old and able to be put outside my other babies will be approx. 18 wks(6 RIR?,2 black? & 2 mille fleur bantams). I plan on putting my brooder in my chicken coop do you think this will help the process? Also should I feed flock raiser to all of them as the 6 wk olds should still have starter & hopefully my others will be laying, or close to it. Don't know what I'm doing.New at this! Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    I wouldn't put them in together. At 18 weeks your babies aren't really babies anymore and should be getting close to start laying. They might even try to kill the younger ones. You need to keep them seperate until they are old enough and big enough to be introduced to your flock.

3. bigoakhunter

bigoakhunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Michigan
    Quote:I agree with paddock36...at 18 weeks they are getting to be adults. THe 6 week olds need to grow some more so they are close to the same size when mixed with the adults. My guess is they need to be at least 15 -16 weeks before putting them in with the older birds.

4. just a dozen

just a dozen Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2010
    Thanks for your input.I kind of knew that but wanted someone's opinion.Well got to get to work building a chicken tractor.Think that's the route I'm going to take. Thanks again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by