Mixing new hens with my Coturnix Roos

NY Coturnix

Songster
May 12, 2020
New York
I have several extra roos and was able to locate 6 4 week hens on Craig's list. I kept the chicks in the house the last 2 nights and would like to add them to my outdoor pen's tonight. The pen's are 3x3 on 1/2 inch wire. Basically 2 3 x 10 hutches separated into 6 pens. I have one pen with 2 roo and 6 hens that is very peaceful and then I've spread my extra quail into the other 5 pen's with 1 pen having one male and the others having 2. Otherwise it was non stop fighting. I've heard where introducing younger quail works when the younger quail haven't hit sexual maturity but I'm new and I'm nervous adding the chicks with my 9 week male. Not sure if I should add with 1 male or 2. Should I wait until the hens are 6 weeks? My plan is to put them in with 1 and then yank him out the second he gets to aggressive. I'm assuming there my be a little chasing but I don't want him attaching the young hens.

Last edited:
Good news I tried to mix again yesterday with success. My chicks are now 6 weeks and some of them are now actually bigger than he is. He kind of stood there for a second. They were making noises at each other and he went toward one of the chicks. Got in her face and she kind of gave him a not this time peck on the head and he backed off. Some chasing for a couple min but then I added some sand and everyone calmed down. Been 2 days and all is well.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

My roo grew up with his hens and he only mated with the mature ones. He ignored the rest. They started mating when they were about 5 weeks old, before even laying eggs. If he is a good rooster, he should leave them alone. But hormones can be a nasty thing ... I would try it and see how he behaves, if he gets too aggressive, separate them.

Didn't go well. I took the roo out of the pen, it was his, and put him in a box for about half an hour while I cleaned it out. Changed the food and water containers, put new sandbox in. Tried to make it like it was a different pen. I then added the young hens. it was their first time on wire but I put some plywood and a large sandbox so they aren't on wire if they don't want to be. I let them get acclimated for a few mins. I first tried my calmest extra male. Within 20 seconds he was on top of one of the females and I had to yank him out with a beak full of feathers. I the tried the male that had been in the box. Same reaction.

The males are now in a pen with each other awaiting processing, told my wife i'd try Craigs list first. Wondering if adding males that have been penned with other males was a bad idea?

I just introduced a female to a male who had been alone for a few weeks (since his mate died). Surprisingly, he didn't race towards her at first sight (maybe because he's an older male). I don't think he really knew how to introduce himself. I had to help him out a little.

I think they like each other now
IMG_20200606_125319.jpg

I just introduced a female to a male who had been alone for a few weeks (since his mate died). Surprisingly, he didn't race towards her at first sight (maybe because he's an older male). I don't think he really knew how to introduce himself. I had to help him out a little.

I think they like each other now
View attachment 2179403

That is so cute! It is always nice to see that not all roosters are rapists. :)

yes watch the male very closely especially with 4 week olds. I integrate new birds at 3-4 weeks in an aviary setting but there usually 1 or more that get “bullied” by the adult males

Didn't go well. I took the roo out of the pen, it was his, and put him in a box for about half an hour while I cleaned it out. Changed the food and water containers, put new sandbox in. Tried to make it like it was a different pen. I then added the young hens. it was their first time on wire but I put some plywood and a large sandbox so they aren't on wire if they don't want to be. I let them get acclimated for a few mins. I first tried my calmest extra male. Within 20 seconds he was on top of one of the females and I had to yank him out with a beak full of feathers. I the tried the male that had been in the box. Same reaction.

The males are now in a pen with each other awaiting processing, told my wife i'd try Craigs list first. Wondering if adding males that have been penned with other males was a bad idea?
it was simply age difference.....they reacted like normal mature males......you can try re-introducing male once hens reach 6-8 weeks and make sure they have somewhere to hide/get away from the male.

Mating may have been the intent but the hen turns 4 weeks Saturday and he had fire in his eyes. Was very aggressive, latched on to the top of the head and looked like he was going to twist her head off. I'm going to try again in a couple weeks.

I'm so glad you posted this. I was doing the same this week, adding new girls for my extra roo. He is a standard Rosetta and the girls I could find are jumbos. He is half their size but a feisty one . I was so nervous about it but put a divider in the cage for a week. Had the courage to remove it today after reading this. So far it is going well after a bit of chasing.

Back
Top Bottom