Mixing Old With 12 Week Olds?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by snowflake, Jun 20, 2010.

1. snowflake

snowflake Overrun With Chickens

Aug 21, 2009
    Belding Michigan
    I Have Been Trying To Get My Adult Birds Used To The New And Even Though They Have Been Together In The Yard For 3 Weeks They Don't Really Inter Mingle. The Adults Stick In One Area And The Teens In Another. The Adults Will Chase Them Off If I Bring A Treat(normal I Am Sure) We Are Going On Vacation In 4 Weeks And I Hoped To Get Them All Together In The Big Coop. I Plan To Get A New Rost For The New Birds So The Old Don't Get To Mean, Do I Just Force The Isue And Hope They Don't Kill Each Oter? Or Just Wait A While Longer And See If They Can Merge? The Majority Of The Teens Will Be Going To My Daughters. There Are 24 Teens And 6 Are Staying Here. Any Suggestions? .. I Have All Standard Breeds Susex, Brahma, Orpington, Ee, The New Are Wyandottes, Rose Comb Brown, And Black Australorps

2. Lotsapaints

Lotsapaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    Paso Robles, CA
    I'm trying to understand what you mean are all the birds together now? I take it the yard is big and they have separate coops? I always run mine side by side for a month before I turn them together and I throw lots of scratch out stand out in the yard to make sure somebody is hurt right away normally nothing much happens as they've been next to each other.

3. snowflake

snowflake Overrun With Chickens

Aug 21, 2009
    Belding Michigan
    The Problem Is, Getting Them In To The Same Coop In 4 Weeks. They Run Together In The Day,same Area And Yes It Is A Big Yard With Lots Of Brush To Go Into During The Heat Of The Day, But Don,t Mingle

4. churchx3

churchx3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Georgia
    I have merged birds together of different ages and they pretty much always stay in the group they began with. They live together in the same run/coop but socially stay within the group they are accustomed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by