Mixing Older and Younger Chicks

biteme2134

Songster
6 Years
Jul 21, 2013
GA
My Coop
My Coop
So I came to have more chicks than I'd planned on and that meant two sets of ages. We have 6 that are about 8-9 weeks old and 8 that are about 4 weeks younger. As you know the size difference is a lot. I finished my additional add-on coop (which has a lot of wire windows for my other fully grown chickens to see the newbies but not bother them). It is 7 x 4 so they have tons of space. The older chicks have been in there for probably a week and just last night I added the smaller chicks. At first they seemed to get along. Few pecks but nothing major. Well.. this morning I checked and the larger chicks had basically herded the little guys into about a 2 foot spot in one corner... obviously away from the food and water. I gave the little ones their own food and water in "their" corner and the big chicks joined in...

So my question is - will the two groups be on even terms soon? I don't care if the little ones are lower on the order I would just like them to have access to food and water. It's only been one day so I'm hoping things will change. I mean the big chicks ate with them in "their" corner happily and they all slept together in a big poof last night so what the heck? :)

Thanks!

All different sizes here and they seem to get along
jumpy.gif
D.gif

It just takes a few days the big thing is the bulling and bullies
just need to be pulled out if you happen to have any ...
smile.png

I have 6 Chicks that are 4 weeks and 2 Welsummers that are 3 weeks, what I first put them together I pulled them out a couple of times and kept an eye on them when they were there. Then after a few days I put them in and have left them since last week and they're all doing fine.

Awesome picture that's encouraging! I can definitely spot one bully. Who is also the most docile to me... When you say pull them are you saying pull the bully for a day or two and retry or pull the little ones to give them some relief? I mean I've seen about half the big ones peck the little guys but only one or two seem to want to control them is that the bully mentality?

Awesome picture that's encouraging! I can definitely spot one bully. Who is also the most docile to me... When you say pull them are you saying pull the bully for a day or two and retry or pull the little ones to give them some relief? I mean I've seen about half the big ones peck the little guys but only one or two seem to want to control them is that the bully mentality?

Yes you understand perfectly
D.gif
yes pull the bully and then reintroduce them now they are the new bee on the block ...

Sometimes the little ones can for their safety be pulled and a week or so when bigger get put back in if there is a real problem ....

yesss.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom