mixing older chickens with new ones

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by criddle76, Mar 12, 2013.

1. criddle76

criddle76 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2012
    I have 6 chickens 1 brown leghorn roo & 5 hens i got them a yr ago they all reside together the hens are brown leghorn red new hampshire & amber link
    so im debating on getting a few more inwas thinking silkies but can they stay in the same coop thats the only way ill get them i dont want anyone getting hurt

2. Bantams and Large Fowls can not be togeather. Large Fowls are bigger so they peck the bantams to death sometimes.
    Good Luck!

3. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Many do have bantams with LF. Yes there can be problems with integrating them. It works best if they are raised together and have plenty of space. It can come as a surprise to some when they hear of a bantam being the top of the pecking order in a mixed flock, it happens but not to often.

4. Aumlet

Aumlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Carlsbad, Ca.
    I keep bantams and LF together. I have a run that is large relative to the amount of chickens I have, so there's room to move away if anyone gets pecky.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  5. skullybones

skullybones Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2013
    Suffolk, Virginia
    When can you add younger bantams to your older flock? I have a bunch of silkies and I want to add my new polish hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by