1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

mixing older chickens with younger chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by archil, Dec 6, 2012.

1. archil

archil Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2012
    I have two young chickens, about 7 or 8 weeks old, and I'm planning on buying two pullets, I'm not sure how old the pullets are that I'll be buying, the site just says pullets, and i've found that different sites have widely different aged pullets.
    So I was wondering If it is safe to put older chickens in with my younger chicks; and if it's not really safe, what would be the oldest chickens i could add to my existing chickens.

2. stevetone

stevetone Chicken Advocate

Before even considering the introduction of new birds, you need to have an area where the new ones can be isolated (quarantined) for 2-4 weeks. This is to prevent the introduction of pests and diseases to your existing flock.

Once that isolation period is over, there is an excellent writeup on introducing new birds to a flock:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/adding-to-your-flock

Good luck! A bigger flock is always better, IMO...

PS Nice Avatar...but kind of creepy as well. I'll skip toast today...

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  3. archil

archil Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2012
    all of my chickens have/will come from the same place, the same farm, just a month or so apart, should i still quarantine them?
    I read the thing about introducing chickens, and I'll see what her youngest sexed checkens are and try to get them within a week of the same age

oh also I think i'm getting bantams, will that affect the process at all?

a lot of people seem to think my avatar is creepy
    ...i personally dont see it...

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by