Mixing older hens and chicks? Yes or No

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by McChick, Jan 19, 2008.

1. McChick

McChick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2007
    Tennessee
    We lost several hens over the last couple months to hawks. We're expanding our flock after we enforce our coop. We rescued all that we have now from bad living conditions. In spring we want to start a new flock with baby chicks (for the first time). Is it smart to keep the older chickens with the new babies? We want to make all the changes to the coop before spring and the new chicks arrive.

Thanks!

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

You'll have to keep the chicks and the adults seperate for at least the first 2 months, and then slowly introduce them outside, wait till they are the same size before putting them in the same coop, and then play tough love. Let them fight it out and don't take anyone out unless there is more than just a little spot of blood. So mixing hens and chicks, not really a good idea. Pullets and hens is the better option.

3. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    It is not a good idea to mix them right off the bat, but once they are closer in size ti the ones you have, then they can be mixed together. If you put them all together full sized with chicks the full sized may attach them, and babies will not stand much of a chance against the full sized chickens. Once the are closer in size they can be mixed, let them see each other through a fence, so they can get used to each other.

4. McChick

McChick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2007
    Tennessee
    Thanks for the help. That's what we had heard. We're adding another section to the coop so that should help. And thanks for answering our question about being next to each other as well. Will the babies go in the coop at night just like the older ones? (A different coop of course)

Silkiechicken - I noticed you're from Everett, Wa. My husband and I moved here from Marysville. I really miss the Northwest, but it sure is beautiful here in TN. AND, we were finally able to afford that house on 5 acres with a pool! Much cheaper here!

We sure are enjoying our chickens! The fresh eggs and the fun of watching them are so worth it. We were down to one hen before we adopted the other three and she was free ranging and kept trying to roost on our front porch. She would come to the front door looking for treats. Craziest thing you ever saw. Now she's happy in her coop again since she has company.

Thanks for all the help everyone!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by