Mixing own scratch

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by carladababe, Feb 15, 2012.

1. carladababe

carladababe Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Dixon, Missouri
    I'm finding big differences in the bags of scratch I buy for my girls. Mostly made up of cracked corn,milo, some millet, some wheat. Some bags just label it as "grains," and some label the actual ingredients. At our MFA you can buy alot of grains in bulk and cheaper than if I buy the pre-mixed product. So I'm mixing my own scratch/bird feed to make it a more complete treat. I bought cracked corn, milo, black oiled sunflower seeds and a bag of oyster shell. I give oatmeal as a seperate treat. What would be the ratios? [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I do the same thing. You'll provide better nutrition and save lots of money in the process.
    They mix grains depending on what is cheapest at the time. It is much better to mix your own for the season.
    Here's what I do. Put the oyster shell in a separate container free choice.
    In hot weather I feed almost all oats with a little millet and BOSS. Oats won't generate as much body heat.
    In coldest weather I put about equal parts of wheat, cracked corn and Boss. Those are high energy foods.
    In between seasons I adjust accordingly.
    BOSS is the only thing that is high in protein of those mentioned.
    If I'm feeding a 20% protein layer ration, I can feed half scratch.
    If I'm feeding 17% I don't give much scratch. I have access to fishmeal which over 50% protein so I can add a little to up the protein.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  3. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    You have the same temperature extremes I do and WOW, I just noticed you are in Dixon, MO.
    My grandparents owned a fishing lodge on the Gasconade outside of Dixon back in the '40s and '50s called the Shady Rest Lodge near the Riddle Bridge.
    You're probably too young to remember that but small world.

4. carladababe

carladababe Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Dixon, Missouri
    Thank you for the reply. Can you remind me please what are the components of BOSS? By the way, I noticed you have Russian bees, I have a couple hives of Italian bees. A lttle off the subject but are Russian bees easy to work with? I'm thinking of expanding.

5. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    BOSS is only Black Oil Sunflower Seed. It can be hulled or not, it really doesn't matter.

I'm not a bee expert but I believe Russians are more aggressive as told to me by an old timer who said he never had them. I got Russians because they are supposed to be better ridding themselves of mites but there are strains of hygienic bees too.
    Here's a little info
    http://www.beesource.com/resources/usda/the-different-types-of-honey-bees/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by