1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mixing Oxine for disinfecting

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by wormy270, Aug 30, 2009.

1. wormy270

wormy270 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2009
    Anyone use deactivated Oxine to fog your birds and coup? I want to know exactly how much to mix in a gallon of water. The directions only mention adding to drinking water at a rate of 1 ounce per 30 gallons of water. If your mixing only a gallon for disinfecting that only comes to about 1/8 ounce per gallon. Doesent seem right. Am I missing something?

2. LilBizzy

LilBizzy Chicken Storyteller

May 20, 2008
    Maryland
    For disinfecting, the directions I have say to use 6 oz per Gallon of water. A gallon is supposed to cover approx 1000 square feet.

3. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

What about "activated?" Is that different? I just bought some also, and am wondering the same thing. I also bought the tub of citric acid to "activate," it...

I'm an idiot and need further instructions, I guess. Also, what are all the uses for Oxine, as I heard there are more uses than just cleaning???

4. LilBizzy

LilBizzy Chicken Storyteller

May 20, 2008
    Maryland
    If you activate it, basically you are making it more potent, and I have read that if you activate it, you need to wear a respirator mask and not use it where birds are present. It's actualy not recommended.
    Unactivated, you can use it around, and actually ON the birds.

Use 1/8 tsp per gallon of water to keep the slime from building up. If you have ducks, you can use it to keep their swimming water cleaner. You can use a few drops in your incubator water to sanitize the air, so to speak.
    I mist down the walls and floors of the coop, and saturate the roosts.I just use a cheap garden pump sprayer( it never had poison or anything in it, I use it just for chickens)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by