Mixing Quail breeds

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ebonys_shadow, Jan 7, 2009.

1. ebonys_shadow

ebonys_shadow Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2008
    Westport
    I cannot find any information on this.
    I have just a standard Coturnix Quail and would like to breed them with Jumbo Brown Coturnix Quail, what would happen?
    I also have Tibetan Quail, do you have any idea what I would get if I bred a Tibetan male with a Coturnix female? What about breeding a Coturnic male with a Tibetan female?
    I'm still pretty new to this.
    Also, I hatched many quail recently and have had a high death rate. This is far from being the first batch... I'm thinking it's the chick starter I have them on. I bought a different brand before. I read that they need to be on 28% crude protein... The one I have them on may be only 21%, I lost the nutrition info so not sure... Do you think it the feed I have them on that has caused this?

2. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    all the cotournix breed together just fine...you just get different color patterns and loose the size from the larger ones...that is why they have the "English whites"...they are little Texas A&M's (at least that is what I have been told...there is not much difference between the cotournix, tibetian or pharohs as far as real genetics goes...they cross and are fertile

the protein can be fairly important...21% is fairly low...I have used 24% and been successful but they will grow faster on the higher stuff...I have heard of folks using like 18% but have not actually seen it

Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  3. ebonys_shadow

ebonys_shadow Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2008
    Westport
    Thank You sooooo much!
    I have looked everywhere for this information & couldn't find anything on the breeding! This is great!
    I have read so much mixed information on the protein, you made it a lot more clear as to what they need. I really appreciate this!

We have a huge variety of animals & it took a lot of research and experience to know what I do on caring for them. There is so much mixed information online. My goal is to build a website with what I have learned, make it easier for people who were like me just starting out. What gave me the idea is, people are always asking me about feed, incubation, care, ect & I write them this huge email of everything I can. I think if I built a website it would be a lot less time consuming & easier. For instance, I couldn't find anything on this information & coming here clarified it for me.

Again, Thank You [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by