Mixing Quail with Another Breed

Discussion in 'Quail' started by quailman2010, Jan 5, 2010.

1. quailman2010

quailman2010 New Egg

Jan 3, 2010
    I was wondering if you could mix another breed of poultry like chickens or pheasants with bob white quail?

Thanks

2. smileyfacecat

smileyfacecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2009
    Wrentham, MA
    i recently came across a post, here on BYC, about a guinea X chicken. To my knowledge the chick is thriving and his/her name is Miracle. I will have to search for that.
    Sorry that doesn't really answer your question, I honestly don't know the answer. I hope you get some answers. [​IMG]

Edit ~ I found the post: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=263053&p=1

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  3. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Bad Mojo Here.......

There's Always Folks Around Who Will Chime In About Keeping Their Rattlesnakes And Fluffy Foo Foo Bunnies Togather Without Any Problems, But As Far As Mixing Different Types Of Poultry (chicken X Quail, Chicken X Pheasant, Etc...) In Most Cases This Is Bad Idea And Will Cause Unfavorable Results.

4. SamG347

SamG347 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    When young I have done it. And when slightly older....and agree that if given the space and plenty of places to hide it can be done for adult birds as well. Here are some pics from my mixed brooder batches.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    What do you call those? Quacken's Quicken's Chail?????

6. Overeasyplz

Overeasyplz Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Leesburg
    oK confuzzeled.... What exactly it the OP asking? Can you crossbreed chickens and quail, or raise them together in the same pen? I think the answer is no on both counts. Chicken would squash quail, breeding or otherwise. Rock beats scissors. Game over man, game over!!!
    Miracle, on the other hand is a really cool guinea/chicken hybrid. Apparently they can hybridize. Usually its a terminal thing, the offspring have a short life. But Miracle is beating the odds, I think he/she is going on week eleven currently.

7. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    I Beleive The Original Question Is In Relation To Housing.....

8. quailraisingMan

quailraisingMan Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2009
    [​IMG]

i dont wanna be rude..but that baby chick is kinda scary.

[​IMG] wont the hybrid chicks be alienate? since the dont really mix in with the crowd?

9. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:ACTUALLY ( IF WE'RE BOTH LOOKING AT SAM'S LAST PIC...) THAT BABY CHICK IS A MELANISTIC MUTANT PHEASANT HEN AND SHE'S QUITE LOVELY... [​IMG]

10. SamG347

SamG347 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    [​IMG] JJ that would be what she was. She was the sole hatchling..and luckily was following a big Coturnix hatch. They all got along fine!
    [​IMG]

EDITED TO ADD....chick in the middle was a Black Ameraucana chick I got with a quail chick order. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by