Mixing quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by deserthotwings, Jan 16, 2013.

1. deserthotwings

deserthotwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Queen Creek AZ
    I have 2 pair of Gambels in a 15' by 8' pen. I am thinking about adding a couple of pairs of Bob Whites to the pen. I don't know a whole lot about quail breeding and I was wondering if they would cross breed or maybe fight the gambels. Any info on this would be much appreciated, Thanks

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    It is best to keep the species separated. Bobwhites are more aggressive than the Gambels and there will be fighting. They are not likely to interbreed and neither species would be happy with the situation. :)

3. deserthotwings

deserthotwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Queen Creek AZ
    Thanks Layla for the much needed advise. Do you think these 2 pair will be ok housed together for the breeding season ?

4. MrNappy

MrNappy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2012
    Ajax, Ontario
    Leyla

1 person likes this.
  5. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

6. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Gambel's rarely "colony" breed and are best kept in pairs, one male to one female. Although sometimes if birds were raised together, you can keep them together, but you will need big space. Generally these birds can be quite territorial during breeding season and will fight with the other pair. However in the "off" breeding season, they will do quite well together. Being that you are in AZ, and depending on how warm the spring gets early on, you may see the breeding period starting up in late February or early March. Generally breeding season starts March or April and runs thru September. You will see a big surge of laying, nest making and urgency during the rainy season as the rains really get them going! LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by