Mixing Red & Black sex links?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickyluvr97526, Aug 7, 2011.

1. chickyluvr97526

chickyluvr97526 New Egg

Aug 5, 2011
    I've had chickens for years and finally broke down and bought a new incubator and would love to hatch my own chicks. I currently have Red star hens and will be getting a rooster but my question is...If i get a Black Star rooster will the chicks still be sex link? This may be a silly question but I just wanted to make sure, we would really like to have sex link chicks since I don't know how to sex chicks and don't know anyone who does. Any insight would be helpful! Thanks [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  2. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Hi chickyluvr,

Nope--- sex link + sex link won't produce sex link.

There are several possible pairings, such as RIR rooster & RI White hen or RIR rooster & barred rock hen -- to get golden comets and Black Stars successively.

Sex links are hybrids and hybrids don't breed true. You may get some interesting chicks though.

You could search here for sex links and get tons more information ---

sorry---

Your idea about determining the sex at hatching is a good one--- but that only applies to the first hybrid generation.

3. chickyluvr97526

chickyluvr97526 New Egg

Aug 5, 2011
    Thanks!! Im so glad I asked...Id really like to figure out how to get sex link chicks but it sounds like I have a lot of research to do [​IMG]

4. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

There is a lot of good info on the forum here......

here is a link with some info:
    http://www.efowl.com/Egg_Layer_Breeds_s/70.htm they used to show the parentage of Black Star, Red Star, Red Sex link, Production Red and Golden comet, Gold Sex link--- but maybe they are reducing inventorY?

Sometimes it seems difficult to find info on hybrids... not sure why.

Good luck with your project. I think you may also be able to get eggs for sex links. Incase you didn't have the population that is required to produce them. Not sure.

5. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    [​IMG]

sex link work because specific genes are passed from mother to son, and father to daughter. Hence, sexlinked.

I've been reading alot about this and while it can get complicated, as why certain breeds are better than others, the bottom line is the rooster should be a solid color and the hen must be either barred or carry the silver gene.

The barred mothers produce black chicks; one with a white spot on the head and one without the white spot.

RIR rooster x barred rock = black sexlink

THe white mothers (silver) produce gray male chicks and reddish girl chicks.
    RIR x RIW = red sex link

Here's a link with SUPER info. I had to read it 3-4 times! Make your life easy and stick to using breeds in group one.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=261208

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by