Mixing Rouen with Grey Crested?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Santacruzmoniqu, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Santacruzmoniqu

Santacruzmoniqu New Egg

Dec 17, 2013
    Soquel, California
    My name is Monique and I am new to BYC. I have had my pair of Rouen Johhny Cash and Miss June for 3 wonderful years. They have a 'duck palace' and we love...ed them to pieced. Saturday June passed away. No rhyme or reason. Freak thing according to the vet. Johnny has been a quacking mess and if weren't for the Finches that occupy the ceiling portion of the pen he would be even louder. I am looking for an Adult Female Rouen but someone offered me a Grey Crested Female. Very similar I know but does anyone know more about mixing breeds for coupling/companionship? Anything would be greatly appreciated!

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    It would be fine and make you drake Johnny so happy. the only thing you'd have to take into consideration is size but even that unless she is a small duck like Mallard or Call she will probably be fine with him. I have Muscovy's and my drakes are much much bigger than the ducks and they do fine with mating. at this time his happiness is most important and they would make cute lil ducklings if you decide to hatch any. And very sorry for your loss [​IMG]
    One thing you'll want to do is let them see each other but no contact for a couple days to a week to let them get use to each other and give him time to bond with the new duck I like to put up temp fencing so they can see but not touch till they get to know each other.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
  3. Santacruzmoniqu

Santacruzmoniqu New Egg

Dec 17, 2013
    Soquel, California
    Thanks so much! Of course that's exactly what I was hoping to hear!! And thanks for the introduction hint too, very helpful.
    Yea.... here she comes Johnny :)

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    So happy for you and Johnny and please be sure to post pics of the happy couple, [​IMG] all goes well.

5. Santacruzmoniqu

Santacruzmoniqu New Egg

Dec 17, 2013
    Soquel, California
    Will do [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by