mixing self-hatched and order-hatched

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by eggdd, Nov 6, 2011.

1. eggdd

eggdd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    let's say you have some of your own eggs scheduled to hatch the same time you're going to receive some day-olds.

can you put them all in the same brooder? or is there a quarantine period for day olds as well?

2. Erica

Erica Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2010
    Technically you should use quarantine, but on the other hand, chicks are generally of lower disease risk than adult birds (which may have had various exposures over their lifetimes). However it pays to be cautious with where you source the incoming birds.

Totally your call, but I would try to read up on other people's experiences with the hatchery.

cheers
    Erica

3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Quote:X2
    Sometimes you have to do what you have to do. I would quarantine but once I got 2 large shipments from 2 sources a week apart and was out of room and had to brood them in the same building. Different brooders but still only a couple feet apart.

4. BasicallyHeather

BasicallyHeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    Lowellville, Ohio
    I picked up an order of six chicks from Meyer on Halloween, then had one chick hatch in our incubator on Nov. 4. I went ahead and put her with the others in the brooder and have had no issues. I generally do not quarantine with hatchery chicks and chicks that I hatch myself; I DO quarantine with chicks that I have received from Craigslist or a breeder.

5. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    You know the order from Meyers is very sterile and the methods they use as a large hatchery must be proven. I would not hesitate to mix the 2 groups to form a single flock as soon as possible. Less hassle and you know its source which accounts for a lot. If you were buying from an unknown farm with no certifications and its just a local family you never what you get.

6. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    Quote:x2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by