Mixing show feeds

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ShowYourPoultry, Jan 3, 2014.

1. ShowYourPoultry

ShowYourPoultry New Egg

Dec 31, 2013
    Hello all chicken lovers, i have a question when it comes to feeds 2-3 week old broilers a mixture of diffrent feeds

im currently feeding them showmaster broiler starter. and my Ag teacher told me to buy a wild turkey and game bird feed and mix it in to their feed when they become bigger.
    can i do this without harming them? when should i give it to them?

thanks Donald Jones

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    The reasoning for this would be to cut the amount of protein your giving them. Your Showmaster starter blend is 30% protein. Showmaster recommends to only feed this as sole ration for first 3 weeks. If you've some remaining you'd mix it with a finisher feed blend to lower the protein intake. ShowMaster finisher is 22% protein and has 12% fat. I've never seen fat content that high in a feed. Likely why they recommend to use 90% of total feed between weeks 6 and 9.

Also a basic non Showmaster feed could be much cheaper. Game bird feeds you can find ranging from 16 to 28% protein and 3 to 5 percent fat.

3. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Brands of feed don't matter nor does mixing them. What matters is the Protein, fat and fiber in it or in what you mixed. A good question would be searching or asking what the long time broiler (Cornish X) raisers here would recommed for these levels and if they change it for finishing the last few weeks of growth. Even ask your Ag professor and compare.

4. ShowYourPoultry

ShowYourPoultry New Egg

Dec 31, 2013
    so wait t the 3rd week then mix or no mix ?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by