1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mixing silkie colors..pics of how I got certain colors

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by melissa508, Sep 15, 2009.

1. melissa508

melissa508 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    ma
    Alot of people are curios as to how to get certain colors..I thought id show some mixing Ive done & what the results were.

[​IMG] solid buff ( hatched from an egg directly from Hattrick)
    bred to this roo- white from a line of nothing but whites..the breeder has bred only white for over 20yrs
    [​IMG]
    together they made this..people like to refer to this as "calico" - I didnt like his comb..too big & ugly for my taste & crest was small also.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I bred this black hen who was from a black x black mating (no splash or blue at all)[​IMG]
    to this roo ..years of nothing but pure white in his background
    [​IMG]
    and the results...well they were awesome..a beautiful (non beared for some reason) but only 1 nb..and the best part NO smutty red that is such a problem with greys.
    ** I almost forgot- the strangest part of mixing these 2 colors..I could NEVER hatch out a male in gray..no clue why

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Mixing colors can be fun..more fun if you use top quaility breeders & know their backgrounds.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  2. 19hhbelgian

19hhbelgian Pigs DO Fly!!

Apr 9, 2009
    New Tripoli PA
    Are you going to try breeding for more of these 2 colors? The calico is beautiful! As for the comb... at least he wasn't too hard to sex! [​IMG] I'd definitely have some of those calico's if they were available!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] them!!!

3. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Do all of the "calico" have dark wings like that? I wonder if they'd be considered some kind of "duckwing".

4. melissa508

melissa508 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    ma
    Actually all the calicos ive hatched have darker wings. Im not playing with this sort of calico right now, but i am trying something different- when i get results, i will show them just like this

5. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I think I plugged in buff & white in the chicken calculator when I was thinking about mixing my cochins. I'm thinking the result was duckwing- because I was asking for pictures on the forum. But- it may have been partridge that I used......

Anyway- just thought you'd like a proper name for your color.

6. goldenyolk

goldenyolk Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2009
    Amherst Nova Scotia
    wow he is nice love the color. [​IMG]

7. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Chillin' With My Peeps

Looks like the white male must be silver under the recessive white.

8. TurtleFeathers

TurtleFeathers Fear the Turtle!

Jan 9, 2009
    By the Chesapeake Bay
    I love your mixed colors! I do the same thing - but then again, my little flock is more or less pet quality, and I don't show, so I don't see any reason to separate them all by color...

But wouldn't your rooster have to be carrying the pattern gene in order to produce those babies? I know my birds have the pattern gene, because I can SEE it. With your white roo, you wouldn't be able to see it. I say the roo, because I would think with those particular hens, you would have been able to see it.

If it WAS from the roo, it would have to be from generations and generations ago because of his extensive "white to white" background. I don't guess his breeder would have seen the pattern gene pop up in their offspring either because the breeding stock was all white. I guess theoretically, the pattern gene could have been handed down that many generations, couldn't it? Hopefully Sonoran Silkies will chime in - I'd love to see her response to this.

9. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    I love to mix the colors! Thanks for showing us what you got.
    I like to breed the pets and enjoy the nifty colors that come out. Plus for back yard pets, everyone wants something unusual. I can sell a lot of chicks that are just interesting to look at.

10. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    This was a great post, even for a silkie hater like me, lol. Very interesting seeing what you got from your mixes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by