Mixing Species

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by artisan1, Dec 17, 2008.

1. artisan1

artisan1 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 27, 2008
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    I'm planning on buying my first chicks (about 4-5 pullets). Is there any problem with getting all different species? I was thinking of a mix of Austrolorps, Orpingtons, and Red Sex Link. Or should they all be the same species?

Thanks,

Erik

2. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mix em up, no worries there, but they’re all chickens so they’re all the same species. Generally, if they can interbreed, they are the same species. I really like a mixed flock myself too so YEAH!

3. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    If you want a mixed flock,go ahead and try it.I personally like all the different colors my mixed flock provide me.Blues,whites,browns,reds ,and blacks can be really colorful in a run or running around on your lawn.

4. Momo

Momo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2008
    Nelson BC
    Yeah they're all the same species, just different "breeds," or types, within the species. If you're talking chickens, duck, turkeys, quail, now you're talking different species. There's really no problem with having a mix of different breeds in your flock.

5. nightshade

nightshade Chillin' With My Peeps

I love having a mixed flock. The different color and patterns of the birds the different color eggs. I think it is just neat. I like the odder or what a lot of the hatcheries list as rare ones cause to me they usually look nicer. And you don't see them in everyone else's yard. But I have found it makes for a bigger flock. You never seem to just be able to get one of each. And then there are soooooo many breeds out there you find you want to give a try. It is super additive. [​IMG]

6. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Mixed breeds are fine for eggs or meat,but would not breed them, as i Only sell pure breeds. Or the cross for sexlink or meat

7. warhorse

warhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    Cibolo, TX
    Quote:If I understand correctly, australorps, orpingtons, and sex links ARE all the same species: chickens. They are different breeds.

8. warhorse

Jun 15, 2008
    Cibolo, TX
    As far as mixing species, can cockrels be housed with young turkeys?

9. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Quote:If blackhead is not an issue in your area, it isn't in the PNW, and they have ample space, sure. However, their own digs, with the right feed for each type is ideal, I've not had problems mixing them.

10. warhorse

Jun 15, 2008
    Cibolo, TX
    What's blackhead? I was thinking about co-habing them until.... [​IMG] (a couple of weeks at most). I just didn't want this holding situation to end up malicious.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by