1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mixing standards and bantams

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Agilityscots, Feb 23, 2008.

1. Agilityscots

Agilityscots Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2007
    Central Ohio
    Okay, I tried posting something along these lines earlier and got no responses.

I have an opportunity to add 2-3 bantam Araucanas to my flock of 4 standard pullets. Can you "mix" standards and bantams?

Also, if I have 4 standard pullets in a coop that has a 20' footprint (large run big enough for 10 std hens), can I add 2-3 bantams safely and happily? Is it difficult to introduce new girls to an existing flock?

Amy

Last edited: Feb 23, 2008
  2. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    I answered you sorry it wasnt good enough [​IMG] just look at the old post an you will get my answer.

Henry

3. Agilityscots

Jun 9, 2007
    Central Ohio
    Hi Henry, sorry, didn't mean to offend you...I was just hoping to hear from someone who'd already owned Araucanas and also who knew for sure whether it was okay to mix std/banties.

Thanks for your response, though!

Amy

4. seedcorn

seedcorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    NE. IN
    it depends on your standards and how dominant they are. Can you mix them, yes. Will it work? No one will know until you do it. It depends on how bossy the other chickens are. Free range, no problem

5. AK-Bird-brain

AK-Bird-brain I gots Duckies!

May 7, 2007
    Sterling, Alaska
    We have 4 banties in with 16 full size. No problems here. We had a banty rooster who actually was able to get his groove on with the big girls. Got rid of him and now have a full size light brama roo who is getting his groove on with the banties.
    So it can go either way. Our flock is mostly well adjusted and introductions werent to tramatic.

6. Agilityscots

Jun 9, 2007
    Central Ohio
    Quote:Hmm...so it's a big risk, in other words!

My girls are pretty sweet and don't seem to peck at one another at all. Of course, that doesn't mean they won't ever, but it does give me hope!

Amy

7. Agilityscots

Jun 9, 2007
    Central Ohio
    Quote:Ha! That's hilarious about the banty rooster!!

The breeder is offering me my choice of Araucana bantams, but I must take a male with them. I will likely find a home for the cockerel if I take them. It's a hard offer to pass up, because he's a show breeder, and he's offering the birds for free.

Amy

8. Stormhorse23

Stormhorse23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Indiana
    Here's how I do it, Hold walk around outside the run for a few days holding one of the newcomers and eventually put a small pen next to the original chickens' pen and eventually move them closer and closer. I have a pigeon sized girl in with a brahma and they are ok

9. Agilityscots

Jun 9, 2007
    Central Ohio
    Quote:Well this certainly sounds doable. I'd have to quarantine the birds for a good month in my basement, which would be NO fun at all, but it's hard to pass up free show-bred birds.

Are banties really as tiny as pigeons? I admit I've never seen a bantam of any breed, in person.

Amy

10. gardener

gardener Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2007
    Willamette Valley
    Yes most are about that size maybe only slightly larger, but the legs are a bit longer. Although Japanese have short legs.
    Silkies are really fluffy so they look bigger.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by