Mixing starter and layer

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by KelBelle, Oct 28, 2010.

1. KelBelle

KelBelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    Could I mix starter and layer feeds until my flock starts to lay? The reason I ask is because my current source, which I trust very much and have a close relationship with, only uses starter and layer, but not a grower. I asked them about this and they said that on their farm they only use starter or layer. They use starter up until they begin to lay. They have it mixed special for them and delivered in bulk. I can't help but worry that maybe I shouldn't keep them on a starter until they begin to lay. I do not know the rations right now. I should contact them again regarding that. I think they forgot to send it to me when I asked. My flock is just about 10 weeks now.

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I would not mix them. Your chicks do not need the extra calcium that is in the Layer. Too much calcium can damage their kidneys. I don't know what the makeup of the starter is, but some of us cannot get either starter or grower but get a combined starter/grower. If your only option is starter or layer, I'd stay with the starter.

3. KelBelle

Aug 15, 2010
    Okay. I am glad I asked first then! [​IMG] Thank you very much. I hadn't thought about the calcium issue.

4. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    You should be OK to keep them on chick starter until you get the first egg. Then gradually blend in the layer until the starter is all gone.

5. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    A.T. Hagan :

You should be OK to keep them on chick starter until you get the first egg. Then gradually blend in the layer until the starter is all gone.

Yup--agree.​

6. KelBelle

Aug 15, 2010
    Sounds like a plan! Thank you very much for all the input.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by