Mixing starter feed--ok?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by sudo-farmer, May 6, 2011.

1. sudo-farmer

sudo-farmer New Egg

May 6, 2011
    I'm new to the world of chickens - I'll become a proud owner @ 7:30 tomorrow morning. I've slowly been gathering my needed supplies and one of the last things I purchased was a 50lb bag of start 'n grow feed. I didn't get medicated feed at first and then decided that perhaps I had better. So, today I picked up a 5lb bag of medicated. I was wondering if it would be detrimental for the chicks if I were to mix the medicated in with the other start 'n grow. The medicated feed is from Mannapro and the other is a Purina product. I sure would appreciate anyone's input on this. Thanks!

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    It wouldn't be detrimental, but the medicated is to help their immune system develop an immunity to cocci, which are in the soil. I'd save it for when or just before they are exposed to soil, myself.

3. DickGJ

DickGJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    Sumter, South Carolina
    Quote:[​IMG]
    I don't see it as being detrimental, but I do believe you would alter the recommended dosage for the prevention/treatment of coccidiosis. Though I suppose any treatment is better than no treatment. You didn't mention how many chicks you'll be dealing with. A 5# bag doesn't go very far...and medicated feed is recommended for chicks about 6 to 8 weeks. It's important to keep them on it until they've been exposed to the soil, so they can fight off the coccidiosis effectively. Most of the feed makers provide you with a timetable/schedule for recommended duration for treatment. I fed mine straight medicated feed until they were past six weeks old, then I began mixing the medicated feed (1:1) with grower crumbles. When the medicated feed was gone, their feed became nothing but grower feed until I convert to layer feed at around 18 weeks. Some folks don't even bother with layer feed and just keep feeding their hens grower feed with a supply of oyster shell as a Calcium supplement. Everyone seems to have their own likes when it comes to feed schedules and recipes. I was in the same boat as you when I first started (I guess everyone here was at one time). The one thing I can tell you is read alot of the threads here on BYC and ask questions for the answers you can't find. There is a wealth of valuable information available here at BYC.com, and the forum members here are the best! Before long, your experiences will lead you to providing advice to the "New Eggs"! Welcome aboard! [​IMG]

4. sudo-farmer

sudo-farmer New Egg

May 6, 2011
    Thanks for your input, I really appreciate your advice. What you said about the ratios and the reasoning behind using a medicated feed makes sense-these were a lot of the questions I was asking myself. I'm only getting 4 chicks for now, but I want to give them a good start and I think what I'll do is feed the medicated straight for a few weeks and then just blend in the other start 'n grow. I know I'll need to pick up more medicated, but I want to wait and see how fast they eat(and waste) the first bag. Anyway, take care and thanks again for responding!

5. DickGJ

DickGJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    Sumter, South Carolina
    Quote:Sounds like a good plan! Good luck and have fun! I almost forgot my manners yesterday (actually I did forget them)...Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by