Mixing starter feed--ok?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sudo-farmer, May 6, 2011.

1. sudo-farmer

sudo-farmer New Egg

May 6, 2011
    So - I'm new to all of this & I believe I initially posted this on the wrong forum. Here goes again. I'm wondering if it would be ok to mixed a medicated starter feed with a non-medicated feed from a different supplier? The medicated feed is from MannaPro and the other starter is Purina. I pick up my chicks tomorrow morning and I don't want to cause them any harm. I've got everything else set-up and ready to go for their arrival, I just need some seasoned advice on this feed issue. Thanks!

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    [​IMG]

If they were my chicks I wouldn't. I can't say for sure, but to my way of thinking doing so would "dilute" the concentration of the medication and make it less effective.

3. azhenhouse

azhenhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    North Eastern Arizona
    I am thinking that it wouldn't hurt them. My don't even get medicated feed. I can't get it here. I currently have three chicks out in the coop with all chickens, and they eat a mix of everything. I can't stop them from eating what is around them. They get their chick starter, plus they nibble on layer feed. They also will go after scratch when I throw it out, and they eat super worms like it is spaghetti. They hatched on the 21nd of April, and the only way I would be able to prevent them from eating everything but their food would be to put them in a brooder box. I don't want to do that. I am sure it will be fine, but you need to do what you are comfortable with. Oh, [​IMG]

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I should have elaborated. If you want to feed them medicated feed for the protection that it offers in terms of aiding in the prevention of coccidiosis, then feeding a mixture of the two would dilute the concentration of the medicine, typically amprolium, thus making it less effective. The manufacturers calibrate the amount of medication to include in the food assuming that each chick will consume a certain amount of feed per day, getting a certain amount of the medication in the process.
    I've only fed the medicated to brooder raised chicks. Since my hens started hatching their own (or as is the case right now, hatchery chicks being raised by the broodies) and I am keeping them in the coop with the rest of the flock, I feed the entire flock a flock raiser type feed called Allway Kernels. It is a starter/grower/layer feed and is of course unmedicated. Purina makes an identical food called, oddly enough, Flockraiser. This way I know the chicks are getting an appropriate food without the added calcium of the layer feed; which is damaging to young chicks kidneys. Also, my roos aren't getting the extra calcium of the layer feed which has been reported to cause damage to their kidneys and joints over the long haul. The only supplement needed with a flockraiser is oyster shell, for the laying hens. I find this food to be most convenient. No more worrying about who's eating what.
    I just didn't want to advise someone that it's okay to mix the two if coccidiosis is their main concern, have them feed it thinking they had covered all the bases and then have chicks start dying from the cocci.

5. sudo-farmer

sudo-farmer New Egg

May 6, 2011
    Thanks for all your advice. My concerns were what you brought up - diluting the concentration. My thought was that getting some would be better than getting none (if I had mixed them). But, being new to this, I really didn't know if that was the case or not. I think for now I'm going to start with the straight medicated for several weeks and then blend with the other start 'n grow. Thanks again and take care.

6. Katydid2011

Katydid2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    West Coast USA
    Quote:For what it's worth, I keep mine on medicated until I switch to grower feed at about 16 weeks, and then layer feed immediately after they start laying. I wouldn't mix medicated with non-medicated for the reasons discussed: it would simply dilute and probably nullify the effect of the medicated started. Especially if chicks are allowed outside, to eat grass, worms and whatever they catch, I think it's important to stay with the medicated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by