mixing the ladies

norahschicks

In the Brooder
10 Years
Sep 9, 2009
NH
I have one flock about 2 years old they are a mix of red stars, brown laced wyandottes, and a araucana. 11 all together.
I have a new batch all Barred Rocks, some all black some black and grey! 12 of these. BUT these ladies are about 19-20 weeks! They are huge maybe bigger than my others! And they are NOT laying yet!! My plan was to wait till they were laying and mix them this fall so they are all together for the winter months.

Question is should I go for it now! Or wait till they are all laying, I was hoping the others would teach them where to lay. OR I have two tough lady flocks. I dont want it to turn into a blood bath :(

Anyone have this experience???
THANKS

I have one flock about 2 years old they are a mix of red stars, brown laced wyandottes, and a araucana. 11 all together.
I have a new batch all Barred Rocks, some all black some black and grey! 12 of these. BUT these ladies are about 19-20 weeks! They are huge maybe bigger than my others! And they are NOT laying yet!! My plan was to wait till they were laying and mix them this fall so they are all together for the winter months.

Question is should I go for it now! Or wait till they are all laying, I was hoping the others would teach them where to lay. OR I have two tough lady flocks. I dont want it to turn into a blood bath :(

THANKS

Can you post a picture of your new birds - a true barred rock should/will not be "all black", so it would seem you likely have a different breed than you think and we can help you sort out just what it is you have by seeing a picture.

That said - your birds are more than at the age/size at which you can move ahead and integrate your flocks. What sort of management system do you use - meaning are the birds confined 100% of the time in a coop/run or do you free-range at any point? If they are confined, what is the size of the area in which this introduction will take place?

I have 5 hens and a rooster. All mutts given to my grandchildren at Easter. 3 of them are laying. Maybe 4, not sure. I'm going to be give 6 hens & 4 roosters from a friend. Some laying some not. Also getting the pens and everything. I plan in putting the new pens right next to the old pens with a door in between. They'll be able to see and interact but not touch. That way the new birds can learn the new routine from my flock. I figure maybe a month til I can let the new ones out of the pen and be sure they'll come when I call them. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

THANKS

Daylight hours is VERY important.... Add light to the coop and run....

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/922732/adding-lights-to-the-coop-and-run-what-i-did

Last edited:
I have 5 hens and a rooster. All mutts given to my grandchildren at Easter. 3 of them are laying. Maybe 4, not sure. I'm going to be give 6 hens & 4 roosters from a friend. Some laying some not. Also getting the pens and everything. I plan in putting the new pens right next to the old pens with a door in between. They'll be able to see and interact but not touch. That way the new birds can learn the new routine from my flock. I figure maybe a month til I can let the new ones out of the pen and be sure they'll come when I call them. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

How are you planning to house them long-term - are you envisioning one big flock or are you intending to set up breed pens where small breeding trios, etc are housed? I ask because at 11 hens and 5 roosters total you will have a fairly significant imbalance in your gender rations and that does not bode well. Are you comfortable with the health of the birds coming in from your friend? It's certainly up to you to decide that - but since you are getting pens with the new birds you may want to consider setting them up initially in a way that allows for a proper quarantine and *then* move to a see but not touch sort of setup to allow them to become accustomed to each other.

I'm pretty sure about the health of the new birds. They come from someone I trust. If the roosters don't work out they'll become dinner and its ok with the previous owner. Where they are now they all get along. My rooster is more if a worry but I'll make him dinner if it comes to that. I plan in making them a while flock. Andy hubby wants to start hatching them. I'm hoping to get a little cottage industry going. My chickens are pets. All have names and they eat from my hand and come when I call. I'm sure it won't take the new birds long to get the idea. Thanks for responding.

Interesting on the ALL Black! Hmmm Now I must look them up! or I will try and post a picture!!!

Both have a coop with a decent size run. The coop I want to move them all together in Has a larger run with live water hole. We feed large amounts of organic greens to them on almost daily bases. The coop I have has 6 nesting boxes and clear propanel sky lights for addional light. I feel they will fit comfortable in this run and coop! as long as they all get along!!! most likely with allow free ranging after i harvest all the gardens!!
we are in northeast!!

9/21/14 at 9:29am

• DaveOmak
  • chilln_peeps.v3623572916.png
  • My Coop
Got my first egg.... Lights were installed 16 day ago... 15-16 hours of "daylight" in the coop and run... That's not "pure proof" the lighting using "daylight" bulbs is the cause, but..... worked for me....

Back
Top Bottom