Mixing Turkey poult with Chicks?***Yup New Turkey owner***

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by mkhenderson17, Jul 8, 2011.

1. mkhenderson17

mkhenderson17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    Ok so a client at work brought in a "chick" they "found" on the side of the road (the road they found it on is loaded with farms that have tame turkeys they let free range, Im totally convinced they stole it) anyeays. The office manager asked if I would take it (now I have not even seen it yet) and I said sure Ill just throw it in with the chicks in my brooder...WELL the "Chick" turned out to be a Turkey poult. VERY young. Its smaller than my week old bantam chicks!!! Now I know nothing about Turkeys but I would like to try to raise a few of them. Now to my question.

It is ok to raise this turkey with my bantam chicks for a while since its so small?
    Can it give anything to my chicks?
    Can my chicks give anyting to the turkey?
    Is it ok to raise it alone or should I try to find it another turkey its age?

Im really confused [​IMG]

Thanks in advanced!!!

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  2. jnkir7

jnkir7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    jonesboro arkansas
    yes its safe to raise them with your chicks ive raised about six turkwys and there mixed in with my chickens. they wont get nor give anything to or from your chicks. and they will be fine growing up with no other turkeys.

3. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    Its smaller than my week old bantam chicks!!!

I would like to see a picture of that. I have never seen a turkey poult smaller than a bantam chick.
    Right now I have four week old royal palm poults in with eight blue cochin bantams and they are fine. The poults are gentle with the chicks and they are twice the size of them. The chicks seem to like to snuggle up to them while sleeping.
    The only problem I can see is that turkey poults should have turkey feed while growing.
    Good Luck with it!​

4. mkhenderson17

Sep 8, 2010
    Its body is just a little smaller than the bantams but when he stands he is taller lol. He defiantly has long legs! I will try to get a pic to upload but I have been having problems.

Thanks!

5. weirdturkeyfreak

weirdturkeyfreak Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2010
    Hi!
    Yes, it's ok to raise them together I do with my bantam chickens
    all the time.
    It can give things to your chicks-- you need to delouse it (with BIRD DELOUSER not dog delouser some people are so stupid
    dog delouser can KILL your birds) and you also need to deworm it (make sure its for poultry)
    I suggest you delouse and deworm all your birds because, yes, your chickens might be able to give the turkey something.

Don't get another turkey untill it gets older because what if you get a tom? when they get older they'll fight!
    So when it gets older get it a hen.

I hope I helped.
    Jackie

6. jasonm11

jasonm11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    tioga tx
    read the stickys the answers you seek are there.

7. mkhenderson17

Sep 8, 2010
    thanks everyone!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by