1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mixing two flocks

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by EmmaJane88, Oct 27, 2013.

1. EmmaJane88

EmmaJane88 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2013
    Hi all,

We're bracing ourselves for a storm in the UK and we currently have two eglus/runs with two seperate silkie flocks. One of the flocks has a rooster, and these guys are around 5 months old, 4 chickens in total.

The second run has 3 silkies, flock 1's mothers also they've been separated since hatch as we incubated them in a bator.

If we put them all in one big run with seperare eglus would this be ok? It would be neutral to both parties as they've not been in there before.

Would my rooster protect all the hens or just his?

Any advice would be great- we have to get them in somehow as the storm will effect them where they are now.

Emma

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

If the younger ones are 5 months old they are definitely old enough to be integrated with the adult chickens.

They should be fine to share a run and even a coop. There will be some pecking as they determine who is at the top of the pecking order (hopefully no bullying). The cock bird will mate all the hens and pullets if he is allowed to, but will have favorites most likely. As far as protecting, I don't know.

You should be able to put them all in together.

3. EmmaJane88

EmmaJane88 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2013
    Thank you! They're all tucked up in their eglus for tonight... Will find out tomo if it works!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by