1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mixing young and older.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Brizzly1146, Oct 20, 2016.

1. Brizzly1146

Brizzly1146 New Egg

Sep 7, 2016
    North Carolina
    Just have a quick question. I have some Rhode Island reds that are older than this new buff Orpington hen I got yesterday. The person says she's about 18 weeks old but she's still a smaller bird. My RIR are around that many weeks old but are pullets still. The little Buff is hanging out by herself which is understandable being new but should I keep her closed off completely from the others until she gets bigger ? Thanks. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. CascadiaRiver

CascadiaRiver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    I'd defiantly be careful introducing her to a flock with two roosters, though read over some articles on here about how to safely introduce birds that are about the same age. She seems just about the same age and should get along pretty well, just keep and eye on the boys ;)

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Animals don't care about size near as much as humans do [​IMG].

You're going to have issues integrating her any way you look at it. I'd go ahead and start now. Her getting another pound heavier really isn't going to matter much to the other birds, or to her. She's an Orpington, and they're more docile by nature.

4. Brizzly1146

Brizzly1146 New Egg

Sep 7, 2016
    North Carolina
    I had to separate her from the others. I went out there this morning and she was sitting in a laying box and she hopped out and the others immediately started chasing her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

If all the birds are under a year? They are all Pullets or Cockerels. Once they reach a year old they are then called Hens and Roosters.
    If no blood is shed? Let them figure out the pecking order. You may find you have to many Cockerels and will need to get rid of one. The best ratio is 10 to 1...

Cheers!

6. CascadiaRiver

CascadiaRiver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    Ratio can depend on the rooster, my sweet boy we had a while back did perfect with just a few ladies (3-5) and no one ever got overbred or anything but my old bantam cochin frizzle we had needed at least 15 ladies or else it got messy xD It depends on the rooster, most people do about 1:10 but depending on the boy it could be different :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by