mizwendy from Florida

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by mizwendy, Apr 10, 2012.

1. mizwendy

mizwendy New Egg

Apr 10, 2012
    i recently inherited my grand-parents chickens and all that comes with it!! Even though it was a huge headache-it was the best decision of my Life!! I have come to love and respect these wonderful birds but alas I have many questions. Well, take this one, I am adding more nestboxes to my already large family but I remember my grand-parents always saying the boxes must go north or south. Why?? Do chickens dislike east and west for their boxes or were my grand-parents pulling my leg? I guess as a child I really should have paid more attention to their advice and wisdom, but playing was more fun!! Can anyone help me with this problem, north or south east or west or it does not matter?? thanks friends!!

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

[​IMG] from Indiana! Placement of the nest boxes doesn't matter, although most hens prefer a secluded area with low light. But mine (at least in my main coop) sit directly opposite a window that gets morning sun, and they have no problems with that. But maybe that's where your grandparents came up with that - so the boxes (assuming their coop had window openings) would never be in direct light?????

3. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

5. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D

Mine face east

6. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad you joined. The only reason we don't face the boxes to the west is because most of the wind is out of the west here. :thumbsup

7. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

8. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

[​IMG] and [​IMG] from S. Florida! So glad you joined us! I have never heard that chickens like nest boxes to face north or south?? Maybe they have something there? [​IMG]

9. The Red Rooster

The Red Rooster Poultry Observer

It doesn't matter which way the nesting box is.

[​IMG]

10. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by