Mke from Texas

mikestubbs

Hatching
Jan 29, 2015
Hi all, I am from Northeast Texas just north of Tyler. I moved up here just a year and a half ago. Very different from far south Texas or even central Texas that I have spent most of my life in. We have raised a few chickens in the past but are starting over with our second flock up here. The first ones did not last long before the predators got them. My fault. Not secure enough.
We have six mixed breed chicks about 3 months old. We don't even know if they are all hens yet. I think one is a rooster. Yes, they are in a more secure enclosure, I hope.
I am going to use the deep litter method and am mostly using the leaves that are all over the place for their litter. We do throw some scraps in the pen occasionally but they have not seemed too interested just yet. I add leaves occasionally so the chicks will have something to scratch/play in as well as adding some soil and wood chips for them to search for anything that might be interesting. The material will be used for our garden beds in the spring. I cannot totally free range them because of the dogs, coyotes, coons in the area and hawks. I am going to build them an enclosed run and later even a chicken tractor. I have begun a treadle feeder but have not finished because of time. I will put up three nest boxes when I get back from Florida next week.
I am always looking for more information and will scour this site as questions come up.

Welcome to BYC! It sounds like you have your hands full with six chickens, can you keep the rooster? (A rooster over a year is called a cock and one under a year is a cockerel as a hen is a female chicken over a year and a pullet is one under a year) Enjoy your stay and I assure you, you will learn a lot about chickens.

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
I'm glad you joined us.

It sounds like you have a nice flock! If you're not sure on the gender of one of your birds, just post a photo of it, either here or in the What Breed and Gender section: What Breed Or Gender is This?

Good luck with your birds!

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to our flock. I'm sorry about your losses to predators. It's always sad to lose some of our flock. My wife and I were both raised in the great state of Texas, not too far from you (Blue Ridge for her, Greenville for me). Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

If it is a rooster I will be able to keep it. I live in the country with neighbors not too close. The only problem is that I received all the chickens from one source, a friend from church, so may NOT want to keep it just because of the genetic mix. I am not sure who came from which mama and papa of theirs. May be best to trade or eat if that is the case.
I thank you all for the most gracious welcome!

Back
Top Bottom