Mke from Texas

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by mikestubbs, Jan 31, 2015.

1. mikestubbs

mikestubbs New Egg

Jan 29, 2015
    Hi all, I am from Northeast Texas just north of Tyler. I moved up here just a year and a half ago. Very different from far south Texas or even central Texas that I have spent most of my life in. We have raised a few chickens in the past but are starting over with our second flock up here. The first ones did not last long before the predators got them. My fault. Not secure enough.
    We have six mixed breed chicks about 3 months old. We don't even know if they are all hens yet. I think one is a rooster. Yes, they are in a more secure enclosure, I hope.
    I am going to use the deep litter method and am mostly using the leaves that are all over the place for their litter. We do throw some scraps in the pen occasionally but they have not seemed too interested just yet. I add leaves occasionally so the chicks will have something to scratch/play in as well as adding some soil and wood chips for them to search for anything that might be interesting. The material will be used for our garden beds in the spring. I cannot totally free range them because of the dogs, coyotes, coons in the area and hawks. I am going to build them an enclosed run and later even a chicken tractor. I have begun a treadle feeder but have not finished because of time. I will put up three nest boxes when I get back from Florida next week.
    I am always looking for more information and will scour this site as questions come up.

2. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    Welcome to BYC! It sounds like you have your hands full with six chickens, can you keep the rooster? (A rooster over a year is called a cock and one under a year is a cockerel as a hen is a female chicken over a year and a pullet is one under a year) Enjoy your stay and I assure you, you will learn a lot about chickens.

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]I'm glad you joined us.

It sounds like you have a nice flock! If you're not sure on the gender of one of your birds, just post a photo of it, either here or in the What Breed and Gender section: What Breed Or Gender is This?

Good luck with your birds!

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] I'm glad you joined us!

Good luck with your chickens!

5. matt44644

matt44644 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2014
    Sanilac County,Michigan
    [​IMG]

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to our flock. I'm sorry about your losses to predators. It's always sad to lose some of our flock. My wife and I were both raised in the great state of Texas, not too far from you (Blue Ridge for her, Greenville for me). Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

9. mikestubbs

mikestubbs New Egg

Jan 29, 2015
    If it is a rooster I will be able to keep it. I live in the country with neighbors not too close. The only problem is that I received all the chickens from one source, a friend from church, so may NOT want to keep it just because of the genetic mix. I am not sure who came from which mama and papa of theirs. May be best to trade or eat if that is the case.
    I thank you all for the most gracious welcome!

10. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by