MM Chick Survey

Corey NC

Songster
12 Years
Mar 28, 2007
North Carolina
Hi Everyone!

I am going to take a survey on those who had affected chicks. Mainly for curiousity's sake but I will try and compile the information gained into an easy to read chart for the forum.

If you could please fill out the form in full with as much detail as possible it would be greatly appreciated.

Please do not post anything but your form as it make it very difficult to sift through. If you want to comment on something please feel free to pm that person or me. Please no rudeness or bashing anyone or MM I am just trying to get straight facts.

Mods or Nifty if you have a problem with this please feel free to delete this thread.
smile.png

Date Recieved Chicks:
How many and what breeds ordered:
How many and what breeds were DOA:
How many and what breeds showed signs of illness:
What were their symptoms:
At what age did the chicks start showing signs of illness:
What State are you in (if you feel uncomfortable answering feel free to skip or pm me privately):
Anything else you'd like to add:

Thank you everyone for your help!

Corey

Last edited:
March 24, 2008

8 Buff Orpingtons
2 Phoenix
3 Golden Polish
3 Black cochins
9 Barred Rocks

25/25 alive at delivery and still running around doing very well.

New York

March 1

4 Golden Polish
6 White Orps
5 Buff Orps
4 Jersey Giants
4 Golden Campines
4 RIR
5 EE
5 d'anvers
5 buff silkies

0 DOA All appeared very healthy

1 Golden Polish, 2 Jersey Giants, 1 White Orp, 1 Buff Orp, 1 buff silkie. The golden polish has died and the others are not going to recover.

Lethargic, staggering, tremors

11 days

Iowa

MM has been VERY good to deal with.

Received 03/03

25 chicks ordered (I took 15 of the 25)

Mine are

[2] Buff Orpingtons
[2] Partridge Cochins
[4] Araucanas
[1] Barred Rock
[1] Freebie that i think is a Brahma
[5] Cornish X

All fine on arrival

Symptoms, sitting on haunches, poor balance (falling over when attempting to walk, at the worst falling over when just trying to sit on haunches), tremors (shaking), etc

1 week, first showed symptoms, one of the Araucanas

1 1/2 week first of two Partridge Cochins went down, had to be culled, after 3 days in the infirmary it was too far gone, couldn't do anything except lay on it's side. Stopped eating even when held in front of food.

2 weeks, second Partridge Cochin went down. It is much more developed then the first one before symptoms and I have hope for recovery.

Yesterday I had to pull one of the Buff Orpingtons from the others, it is now showing the same symptoms.

So to date, I have culled one, and have three I am letting "recover", we'll see. The first one to get sick, the Araucana appears fine now, walking fine etc, but still seems stuck as far as development, still MUCH smaller.

Someone else has the other 10 from our order and I know they have at least lost [2] Polish, I haven't had enough contact with them to determine the extent of their losses and causes.

The meat birds were unaffected, but they were separated from the others after only a few days.

Here's hoping the remaining 6 STAY healthy.

Kat

I have no problem with this, even more so since it now seems as if we new what made our chicks sick.

Date Recieved Chicks: 3-25

10 BLRW
4 Speckeled Sussex
2 Black Sex Links
3 Black Australops
3 EE
4 Partridge Rocks
1 free chick

All chicks made it alive
in first 48 hours lost
1 BLRW
1 Black Sex link
2 speckeled Sussex

All our chicks ended up with loose stool at about 2.5 weeks only 5 of the BLRW showed neurological symptoms. we opted to euthanize 3 of them, the 2 one has minor problems the 5th seems to be 100% recovered.

Looose stools bad the entire batch it seemed and were a bit less active.
5 chicks sat on hocks, blance w/ wings, walked with stilted gait a few with tremors.

about 2.5 weeks of age.

What State are you in (if you feel uncomfortable answering feel free to skip or pm me privately):
Oregon

Worked with an Avian vet and waiting for final lab results for the necrosy.
our chicks seem to be doing well. Still. some loose stools - the chicks will be 5 weeks old on Saturday.

Hi there.. Here you go...

Date Recieved Chicks: 3/3
How many and what breeds ordered: 3 different breeds.
I recieved 27 chicks total...ordered 25.

5 Buff Orpingtons

11 Americaunas (Recieved an extra due to the rare breed freebie) --Thanks to all who gave me that info...

11 Rhode Island Reds Ordered 10--ended up with an extra.

How many and what breeds were DOA: Zero

A total of up to 10-16 so far--varying in severity from very mild to quite severe
All 5 Orpingtons
1 Americauna
The rest are the Rhode Island Reds

What were their symptoms: Most mild is lethargy but that progressed in some of them to SEVERE lethargy to the point that they would not walk to the food or water. The entire flock had transient loose stools.
The more severe cases would push themselves into corners, look all puffed up, when forced to walk--would stumble--wing walk--and walk only on their hocks. Sometimes they would fall down. My most severe case I found upside down, wings out -- feet in the air. I thought she was dead.

At what age did the chicks start showing signs of illness: The first case was at 11 days. I kept getting new "sickies" continually until around day 18 or 20.

What State are you in (if you feel uncomfortable answering feel free to skip or pm me privately): Minnesota

Anything else you'd like to add: So far no one has died, but I am unsure if I am going to have to put any to sleep. I am thinking that they will all pull through. My vet and I are very concerned however, that many of the ones that were ill may have some issues.

Thanks...I hope that helps enlighten someone....???

Last edited:
Date Recieved Chicks: 2/29/08
1 EE
1 BLRW
1 Speckled Sussex
1 Buff Orpington

Note, I was in on this order with several others. As of my last communication (3/20) with the person doing the ordering, no one else had any symptoms.

No DOA, 1 (Buff Orpington) failure to thrive, culled 6 days later

All three of the others showed symptoms.

sitting to eat, difficulty walking or inability to walk, clumsiness, shaking, dull expressions, diarrhea

about 12-14 days of age, the Speckled Sussex was closer to 3 weeks

Washington state

Anything else you'd like to add: So far still have all 3 chicks. One (BLRW) will be fine, the other two I am uncertain of.

Last edited:

Date Recieved Chicks:
3/11/08
RIR
New Hampshire Reds
Buff Orps
Aracaunas
Americaunas
Barred Rocks
free rare chick
SL wyandottes
1 Buff or or NH red DOA
2 one Aracuana, and 1 free rare chick
Aracauna could not walk poperly, rean in circles kept falling, but was extremely active, just uncoordinated. The free chick was just weak, never pepped up.layed on its side allot, but did feed and water itself, and another buff orp died within 48 hours with no obvious signs, I think it got smooshed, brooder may have been too cold.
At what age did the chicks start showing signs of illness: first 48 hours
What State are you in (if you feel uncomfortable answering feel free to skip or pm me privately): North Carolina
The rest of my chicks are three weeks old and fine, no more illness/death after the initial loss withing the first 48 hours.

Date Recieved Chicks: 3/10
How many and what breeds ordered: 12 Rhode Island Reds, 14 Dominiques, 1 rare breed (free)
How many and what breeds were DOA: 0
How many and what breeds showed signs of illness: 12 of the Dominques
What were their symptoms: weak, crippled legs
At what age did the chicks start showing signs of illness: 11-14 days after arrival
What State are you in (if you feel uncomfortable answering feel free to skip or pm me privately): CT
Anything else you'd like to add: Thanks for doing this! From others: I'm very interested in knowing what hazards I face if these birds survive. None have died yet, some seem to be improving.

HUmm this has me worried... I have ordered ... 11 white pearl leghorns and 11 RIRs and 3 light brahmas....

they are due May 19th, You guys thank i should cancel the order... and order from another hatchery ... ? i would hate to get infected chicks for my first time
sad.png

besides that it would be hard for me to tell the signs of sickness i would say cause i have never raised chicks befor or chickens for that matter..
sad.png
So sad to hear this news..

Please let me know guys if i should cancel and order from another hatchery ... list the hatcherys that are good please

Thanks to all

Back
Top Bottom