MM Hatchery...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by WyoChickenMamma, Mar 21, 2012.

1. WyoChickenMamma

WyoChickenMamma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    I just want to share with you all my experience with them. I am fairly new to chickens, I bought an established flock last year and then added in some pullets over the summer. I started researching some different breeds and decided that for me, the best way to ensure as few as possible boys was to order pullets. I decided on MM and in January placed my order. I ordered 10 Easter Eggers ( I think they call them something else, because of this website, I know better). I ordered 10 Cuckoo Marans, 5 Mottled Houdans, 5 Naked Necks and 5 Black Cochins. I started watching here and a few other sites and started seeing people fretting about orders not coming through the mail in a timely fashion, orders being lost, and dead chicks being delivered. I worried and fretted right along with them. It was a long 3 months. My order was to arrive on March 19th, a Monday. On March 16th and 17, I was like all giddy with the thought of those eggs hatching out my little girls. On the 17th I was in our local farm supply and was talking to the gal there boxing up chicks for people (Ok, she was boxing up two light Brahmas for my son) and she asked why we were only getting 2, I told her we had ordered from MM and they were to come on the 19th. She said that MM was were they ordered from and that they had been getting their shipments from the local PO on Sunday around noon. I was thankful she gave me the heads up. Of course being the prepared planner that I am, my brooder was already set up and ready to go.

I kept waiting all day for the text and email from MM informing me that my girls had shipped. About 9:30pm on the 17th I decided that my chicks probably had some kind of issue going on and that I wasn't going to get them. Then at 10:10pm, my phone rang and it was the PO, my chicks had arrived. We ran to town, and picked them up. I asked the postman if they had a lot of chicks arrive with mine and he said only the farm supply store and mine. I looked at the label, they left MM on the morning of the 17th and were at my PO that night. My girls spent less that 15 hours in that box. They were all healthy and doing great. The ended up sending 6 NN, 11 EE and the 1 "rare" freebie. Of the 38, we ended up putting one down on Monday morning, she never would eat and would only drink when I forced her. She was considerably smaller than the others and just didn't act like the others. I have had a few with some pasty butt issues, but nothing that has not been remedied with a quick little bath. They are all super cute and active as all get out. I think the freebie is a Dark Brahma and will probably be a rooster. I am hoping he is the only one. So the only thing to wonder about now is will my 10 Cuckoo Marans really be CM and not Barred Rocks. Something else I have fretted about since I ordered them (I read where people were being duped by hatcheries and delivered BR and not CM). I guess time will tell....regardless, we love them all. So for me, my experience with MM has been great. Oh...and that text that they were to send to let me know they shipped, it came at 3am on the 18th....I had already been loving on them at that point...but how were they to know that they would make it to me so fast???

So will I order from MM again...YES. Will I try to hatch out my own Marans from a breeder, yes. I think I will ask for an incubator for my birthday! :)

2. the_great_snag

the_great_snag Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Staples, Minnesota
    Can I assume you are referring to Murray McMurray Hatchery? I have had great service and quality from them every single time. They cost more sometimes, but you get what you pay for.

3. WyoChickenMamma

WyoChickenMamma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    Yes, I should have clarified that...Murray McMurray. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by