MMH Shipping and Timeframe question

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by SweetLilRachy00, Mar 7, 2008.

1. SweetLilRachy00

SweetLilRachy00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2007
    Simpsonville, SC
    We just ordered 75 chicks! YEY! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

But we won't get them until April 21st it said. Is there any possiblity that they will come BEFORE that date?

Anyone have any luck? I guess it would only depend on it others cancel their orders ofthe same kind and I move up in line right?

Thoughts?

That's so long to wait!!! [​IMG] At least we'll be ready in time! lol

Last edited: Mar 7, 2008
  2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    They are preselling you chicks due to hatch within 12 - 24 hours of April 21st.

3. SweetLilRachy00

Oct 30, 2007
    Simpsonville, SC
    Well why can't they state preselling then! Ugh! I wish Iw ould have known, I might have gone elsewhere! But DH was insistant on getting them ordered! Oh well, guess I have lots to prepare for!

4. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    If you go to their website, they tell you when each breed is available, whether straight run, males or pullets. For example, I just checked buff orps, and thru April 7 they only have males available, so if you want girls, it will obviously be a date after that.

5. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    How would you get day old chicks if they were not born on the 20th for shipping to you on the 21st?

They sell based on the hatch schedule. If you ordered chicks from me today I would have to collect and hatch eggs and you would not get them for 21 days.

Seriously, I am not trying to be a smart butt by think about it. You ordered "1 day old" chicks.

6. SweetLilRachy00

Oct 30, 2007
    Simpsonville, SC
    Here's the thing. As we picked out what we wanted it asked us when we wanted them shipped. We chose and then it poped up and said sorry. April 21st is the soonest. Why have that option if they aren't available then!? makes no sense to me!
    I understand that MP, BUT if they have them 'available' that to me, means they are ready to ship! [​IMG]

7. seymojo536

seymojo536 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2007
    Central Ohio
    Were you ordering 75 of the same type? Maybe they had some available but not enough to fill your order.

8. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Have you called and asked them? If the next availability date for the breeds you want is the 21st of April and that is too late for your needs then you could have not ordered. Maybe you can call and ask to be put on the list for any cancellations if they do that. Or maybe order a wider assortment of breeds they may have available sooner.

Preselling is the standard procedure for day old birds. They incubate and hatch based on preorders. That is just good business. Otherwise they have to guess and then more people would be unhappy than not. At least you have plenty of time to prepare for their arrival. [​IMG]

9. SweetLilRachy00

Oct 30, 2007
    Simpsonville, SC
    Please don't think I'm complaining. We ordered 25 cornish roasters and 25 cornish x rocks and 10 leghorns (hens). That oughtta be fun figuring out whos who, when they get here too!

The had leghorns now. It said they were available now. I understand waiting 21 days or so for them to hatch then ship...but what are they doing with all their extra weeks before they get them? Waiting for the eggs to collect and arrive? Hmm...this is all new to me. I was thinking that we'd get them in a couple days since the mag gave into on shipping time.

10. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Quote:They are hatching and shipping orders placed well before your order was placed.

MMH usually sets eggs every single friday of the year. Some set breeds on Wednesday.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by