MMMMM first meaties of the year

greeneggsandham

Songster
14 Years
Mar 10, 2008
Putnam,CT
I forgot how wonderful homegrown chicken is. There wasn't much time the last couple of years to do them, but told my husband we are raising some meaties this year.
I had 10 red broilers at 9 weeks old done this past weekend. They dressed out between 5 and 6 lbs each.
We had a half of one last night that I rotisseried. So good. Tonight we will have the other half roasted in the oven.
Going to make fried chicken this weekend with one.
Now in 5 weeks I will have 10 cornish x's to do.

droolin.gif
droolin.gif
droolin.gif
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
Cannot wait to post something like this!! Ours are 4 weeks old (24 Cornish X) and they are getting so chubby! They are having a great life and I LOVE that they will have the best 7-8 week life any Cornish could ever have!!
thumbsup.gif

Homegrown is always best. Whether your talking maters, or chicken. Makes you feel like a producer instead of a consumer.
Makes you feel a little self sufficient instead of totally dependant. Makes you feel proud instead of indebted.

The other half was made last night roasted in the oven with potatoes and onions. Then some fresh picked pea pods and green beans steamed on the side. My husband said he could eat that every night of the week. He also wants to get some more chicks the end of August so we have plenty of chicken for the winter.
celebrate.gif

I'm sorry, you said you processed a few birds and they tasted great?
Sorry, no pics, didn't happen!
I hope to grow and process next year. Red Broilers for any reason? Cornish X? Looking for input.
Good luck and thanks for posting.

Did 4 of 15 tonight. Will let the girls gain more. Ours dressed out just over 4 lbs. These are cornish rock crosses - white meat birds.
What weight do you aim for before processing? The 4 tonight were roosters... they took out 15 other meat birds along with help from some racoons.

This was my first time processing in 14 years... didn't have youtube back then... went reasonable well considering it is not my most joyous job.

TIA

PS: was most impressed with my 9 year daughter helping remove pin feathers and asking tons of questions at the kitchen sink before bagging, marking and freezing.
I am so proud of her... her grandmother and great grandmother would be so proud and pleased... I think she will make a great vet and country woman some day...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom