1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

mmmmm... it is starting to smell soooo good!!!

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Garden Gal, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Garden Gal

Garden Gal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    Virginia
    With lots of reading on how to cook roosters, I'm cooking my first two guys as we speak!!! We slaughtered them on Sunday (our second experience and a bit easier than the first emotionally) and I've had them in an icy brine bath in a cooler since then. I decided to cook two at the same time using different techniques.... One is in a crock pot with a few cups of water and a 16 oz. bottle of Ken's Herb & Garlic marinade, and the second is in a large kettle, covered with water, onions, carrots, celery and spices. :) Both are on low and have only been cooking for two hours but the house is ALREADY smelling heavenly and I'm so excited to see how these guys turn out!!! Thanks for all the great info on this site!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. alicefelldown

alicefelldown Looking for a broody

Aug 18, 2008
    Yum!

3. TimG

TimG Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Maine
    Stock simmering on the stove beats potpourri any day.

4. Garden Gal

Garden Gal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    Virginia
    The chicken in the pot with water, celery, etc... turned out much better than the one in the crock pot / marinade. I don't know if it was the marinade or what, but that chicken just didn't smell great upon opening the crock pot! I am now researching cornish x because neither bird produced the amount of meat to make me feel the cost / work/ etc... paid off!

5. TimG

TimG Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:Yeah, there really isn't a whole lot of meat on your backyard rooster -- I once weighed the meat I took off the bone of a stockpot rooster and found that I barely had a pound.

6. GraceAK

GraceAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2009
    Eagle River, AK
    theyre diet roosters. [​IMG] I don't eat much meat anyway so I'm fine with a little rooster.
    I love homemade chicken soup. [​IMG] You're making me jealous!

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    My mom would soak ours in buttermilk in the fridge overnight before baking.

We had some great chicken when I was younger.

Most of our roos were game roos, RIRs and Leghorns. the ones the hatchery messed up on, or the straight runs our broodies would produce.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by